Home Forums ActiveX components Xceed Zip for ActiveX & x64 SFX and MultiPart Zips

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    #41845 |

Hello, I am in the market for a zip compression library with certain capabilities. Does the self-extractor module support multi-part sfx archives? Are “split” sfx zips supported? I read on the forum that there is a workaround to make compatible standard split zips, but I didn’t see anything regarding sfx split zips. The answers to these questions would greatly assist my buying decesion. Thank you.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by mabrahim (had 6471 views)

User (Old forums)

Hello mabrahim,

Unfortunately, the current version (1.3) of the self-extractor module only supports spanned zip files (all files having same name, located on different diskettes), but not split zip files (files with different extensions of the form .ZIP, .Z02, .Z03, etc).

I take the opportunity to ask what would be your requirements. For example, what filenames would you expect to see? All parts with usual .Z01, .Z02, etc, with last filename ending with .EXE? Or first filename ending with .EXE? Would you expect it to support asking for a missing part? Any other requirements?

Thank you.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Martin (had 414 views)

User (Old forums)

Thank you for the quick reply. To answer your question, I would want the split sfx to have similar filenames as the split zip. So the .exe would replace the .zip file. Having all files be .exe’s would be a problem because they are going to be emailed (ergo the necessity of split zips). I have to change the file extension of any .exe to something else in order to avoid various email software filters. This forces my clients to rename one executable in order to extract the files. If all of the files were .exe’s, that would be a lot of renaming. Another option (used by [competitor]) is to rename the file itself, not the extension (i.e. test.exe, test001.zip, test002.zip, …). Unless there have been some changes to split zip support, the various application procedures if I were to use XceedZip would go as follows:

<b>Split Zip:</b>
    1) Create an Xceed split zip
    2) Rename extensions to provide WinZip compatibility
    3) Email each file separately

<b>??SFX Split Zip:</b>
    1) Create sfx split zip (.exe, .z01, .z02; or .exe, .zip, .z01, .z02)
    2) No renaming necessary since sfx
    3) Email each file separately

<b>Single Zip:</b>
    1) Create zip
    2) Move to local ftp download director and email link

<b>Single SFX:</b>
    1) Create sfx zip
    2) Move to local ftp download director and email link

I’ve been surveying several other competing zip component packages, but no one package does exactly what I’m looking for at the moment. The closest competitors have the following pros/cons:

<b>[competitor 1]</b>: multipart sfx zip, cryptic sfx module
    <b>[competitor 2]</b>: multipart sfx zip, but no multi-part zip, single sfx (not customizable)
    <b>[competitor 3]</b>: multipart zip, but no multi-part sfx, single sfx (partially customizable)
    <b>XceedZip</b>: multipart zip, but no multi-part sfx, single sfx (fully customizable)

As of now you’re in the same boat as [competitor 3] (which I’m leaning towards), except [competitor 3] costs half as much. Their package includes sourcecode that might allow future improvements on my part, but my company doesn’t own a C++ editor/compiler, so I’m not looking to do any homegrown activex authoring.

<b>Bottom line</b>, if XceedZip can do everyting I need, I’m sold.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by mabrahim (had 726 views)

User (Old forums)

Ok, here’s the deal. I can’t change the fact that the first file must be the one ending with “EXE”. I had some spare time this afternoon, so I implemented it! (ok, ok, I decided it was more fun than async FTP operations implementation :-}, and my boss won’t know… until he reads this =:O ).

You create your SFX zip file using <b>yourname.exe</b> as the zip filename. The files created will have the names <b>yourname.exe</b>, <b>yourname.e02</b>, <b>yourname.e03</b>, etc. All files need to be in same folder as the EXE, and I’ve not yet tested with more than 99 parts (though it should work, creating files <b>yourname.e100</b>, <b>yourname.e101</b>, etc).

Anybody interested in testing this new binary can contact me directly (what the heck!) at:

plantem (at) xceedsoft.com
    (You’ve already figured out you need to change (at) with @, right?)

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Martin (had 529 views)

User (Old forums)

Wow, programming on the fly. Sounds good to me:) Well, if it works it sounds great. The only change I would make is starting the numbering at e01 instead of e02, but that’s pretty minor. I’m just anal sometimes. Thanks for working on it!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by mabrahim (had 599 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

mabrahim,

I had to replace the names of the competitors (unpublished policy) and I also removed the pricing which often quickly becomes outdated. I believe the message / meaning of your message has been preserved, though.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 598 views)

User (Old forums)

I want to test it too. 🙂

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by midmee (had 539 views)

User (Old forums)

Hello Midmee.

The new SFX is already part of the latest Xceed Zip ActiveX package v5.0.111. Simply download the update or full package here:

Update Package:
    <A HREF=”http://www.xceedsoft.com/Download/Updates/Xceed_Zip_Compression_Library_5.0.111.0.exe”>http://www.xceedsoft.com/Download/Updates/Xceed_Zip_Compression_Library_5.0.111.0.exe</A&gt;

Full Package:
    <A HREF=”http://www.xceedsoft.com/redirect/download”>http://www.xceedsoft.com/redirect/download</A&gt;

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Martin (had 7733 views)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.