Home Forums ActiveX components Xceed FTP for ActiveX Disconnecting hangs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    #42690 |

I have a simple app that provides online updates to our software customers by FTPing the file from our website.

At one site (out of 400+ sites) the control will connect to the site OK, retrieve the small file which contains the latest version number, but then will not complete the DISCONNECT command.

The disconnect does not occur and the DISCONNECT event never fires. What would make a site be unable to disconnect? I know that they are using a CISCO router, the other 399 sites just have “normal” cheap routers.

And what is the best way to timeout or force the disconnect to happen?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by David (had 10005 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi friend,
    I too got the same problem… do you have any workaround for that

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Gaurav (had 504 views)

User (Old forums)

I have been doing some testing and noticed this as well.
    Im testing resume in a wireless environment, as soon as the wirless connection is broken the software seems to get stuck in ReceiveFile(…).

If anyone knows how to resolve this problem please let me know.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by DylanFAST (had 601 views)

User (Old forums)

I’ve created a VB test program that connects and disconnect from an ftp server every 5 seconds.
    If I deactivate the ftp server while my program is running it will freeze (program is not responding) when calling xceedftp1.disconnect.
    * It will not hang every time I deactivate the ftp server but it usually doesn’t take more than 6 deactivations before the crash/hang happens.

Tested with the latest xceedftp.dll (1.1.4579.0), WinXP Pro US SP2, VB6 SP6 and FileZilla Server 0.9.4.d and an ftp account with a password.

I submitted a support request with the sample code today, let’s see what happens.

Btw. using another ftp component (from another comapny) doesn’t give me problems with disconnecting but I would like to stick with xceed.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by GvL (had 385 views)

User (Old forums)

I am seeing the same problem with an earlier verson of xceedftp.dll (1.0.29.0). GvL, did you get a response from Xceed support?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by StuB (had 526 views)

User (Old forums)

StuB,
    Tech support could not reproduce the problem with my code.They indicated that they had seen the problem with earlier versions of the FTP Library so you might want to try a newer version.
    When I had the problem I was using Version 1.1.4579.0 (which was the latest at that time).
    I also tested with different FTP servers (Serv-U and Bulletproof) on a clean Windows XP Pro install but the problem was still there.
    If you want to take it up with tech support you could refer to my case number: 78315
    (I’m now using another FTP component from Catalyst)

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by GvL (had 446 views)

User (Old forums)

Gvl,

Thanks for your quick response. I have mailed tech support with my details and referenced your case. I will keep the board posted.

StuB

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by StuB (had 578 views)

User (Old forums)

I also have this problem and contacted tech support.
    They responded with ” try setting the Abort property to true prior to calling the Disconnect method”

This did not work.

I did notice that the LoggingCommandLine event is triggered and completes after Disconnect however, the program will not continue to the next statement after the disconnect.

I’m running Win XP SP2 using Delphi 7 Pro. XceedFTP version 1.1.4579.0. The component is in a dll being called from an delphi executable.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by justhackin (had 565 views)

User (Old forums)

Tech support sent me Xceedftp.dll version 1.1.4579.0 and it seems to have resolved the problem. Luckily I did not have to make any code changes. It’s worth noting that I’m calling the dll from a VB6 exe on Win2K.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by StuB (had 548 views)

User (Old forums)

I was not able to produce the problem on Win 2000 Sp4. Only on Win XP Sp2.
    Our prior version we were running was 1.1.44.0 which is not compatible with Win Xp Sp2 at all. Security issues. 1.1.4579.0 is a lot closer but still not there. The only code changes I made for that conversion was to add the license method.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by justhackin (had 633 views)

User (Old forums)

We’ve had this problem too.

I’ve already ripped the SmartUI control out of our code and am looking for a replacement for this one.

We have software where our users tend to start downloading something, change their minds for whatever reason and start downloading something else instead. Thanks to XceedFtp, our application freezes.

You can not disconnect while the state is connecting – this will cause xceed ftp to hang.

Disconnect is a process, so don’t do it if another process it taking place. Loop this code: Abort = True and Abort = True again until the process state changes. At this point it should be completed.

If the state is connected, disconnect.

My biggest problems are now occuring after I am able to disconnect or abort a process and I later try to reconnect. The spot where I am hanging has just moved further along.

My solution? Don’t allow users to disconnect while a process is taking place. Don’t try to do anything else. It’s a throwback, but it works for me.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by arj (had 8725 views)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.