Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #42618 |

Does anyone know if a VB application tries to make a FTP connection and the user has Dialup Internet service will their PC automatically dial out? Or will the VB app have to make the PC dial out?

The reason I ask is that we currently have an application that is using WININET.DLL to do all our FTP routines. There was code that would check to see if you were connected to the internet .. if you are not it dials out or uses your network connection.

Since we have the XCeed Foundation Suite now I would like to switch to those tools.
    I am just wondering if I replace all the FTP code to use the XCeed FTP control if I need to check for their internet connection. Doesn’t the user set that up in their connection properties?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Shan

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by RDC (had 4226 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Shan,

Nothing in our library was written to force a dial-up connection to pop-up. I might be wrong but I doubt that the Wininet.dll solution offer this functionality. I rather think that the OS will manage the connection, if an attempt was made to connect to a remote site, the OS should ask you if you want to connect.

Depending which version of Microsoft Windows you are using, there usually is a setting that will force a connection on any attempt to use an Internet application.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Matt (had 355 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Matt,

we have the same problem. Could you please tell us which setting should we set in order to FORCE windows (any version) to use a dialup connection? We usually set Internet Exploret to use dial up but sometimes this is not working!

Thank you,
    Demis77

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Demis77 (had 421 views)

User (Old forums)

The following worked fine for me. Give it a try.

Option Explicit
    Private Declare Function InternetGetConnectedState Lib “wininet.dll” (ByRef lpSFlags As Long, ByVal dwReserved As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function InternetAutodial Lib “wininet.dll” (ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dwReserved As Long) As Long
    Private Const INTERNET_AUTODIAL_FORCE_ONLINE = 1

********************************************************************************************************
    If ConnectedToInternet = False Then

‘ MsgBox “connecting to internet”

InternetAutodial INTERNET_AUTODIAL_FORCE_ONLINE, 0

‘ Else
    ‘ MsgBox “Already Connected To Internet”
    End If

JLMuniz

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by jmuniz (had 4909 views)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.