Home Forums ActiveX components Xceed Zip for ActiveX & x64 Compression Library does not support AES encryption?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #41868 |

Reading some of the threads found a response of the technical support team saying to some customer…”The Xceed Zip Compression Library does not support AES encryption.”

This means that Zip files created by WinZip could not be openned by Xceed Compression Library?

If so, what to do?

Regards

BakZip

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by bakzip (had 3766 views)

Xceed Support

Hello,

You will be able to open zip files created with WinZip as long as AES encryption was not used. If AES was used, then Xceed Zip will not be able to decompress the zip file.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 353 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Jenny,

First time we know a woman on the xceed team. It’s good to know it.

In article of the KB of xceed page says:

The encryption algorithm used by the Xceed Zip Compression Library, Xceed Zip for .NET, Xceed Zip for .NET Compact Framework, Xceed Backup and Absolute Packager is the same one used by the PKZip 2.04g program.

This type of encryption can resist attacks by amateurs if the password is well chosen and long enough (at least 16 characters) but it will probably not resist attacks by determined users or experts. Therefore, we suggest that you always use long passwords, and when possible, do not rely solely on this encryption system to protect sensitive data.

Neither the Xceed Zip Compression Library, Xceed Zip for .NET, Xceed Zip for .NET Compact Framework, Xceed Backup nor Absolute Packager support AES encryption.”

Two questions:

1. This article means that the AES encryption used by WinZip (hate to name it) is not safe?
    If so, which is the best encryption algorithm and does the Compression Library supports one?

2. If Compression Library doesn’t has an algorithm which other library has it?

You must be thinking that if I bought it why I don’t know. Simple. I’m not the developer I’m the CEO of these company.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by bakzip (had 467 views)

Xceed Support

Hello,

Xceed Zip only has password-scrambling that is 100% compatible with the PKZip 2.04g Zip file format. This is ‘light’ protection that will not protect against any determined users. At best, you can consider it has 32-bits of protection.

Recently, Winzip has added AES (Rijndael) encryption. This is considered to be strong encryption (128+-bits) and provides real protection.

Xceed Zip supports the basic encryption but not AES. This means that if you create a zip file using Winzip that uses basic encryption, it will be compatible with Xceed Zip. If, with Winzip, you create a zip file that uses AES encryption, then that zip file not be compatible with Xceed Zip.

I hope this clears things up! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 4533 views)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.