Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms what about long datasets?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    #13794 |

Hello,

What about, if I would like to display a dataset, which has about 10000 rows. Won’t this grid consume too much memory? And also it may take long to construct it, because every cell (10000 x ColumnCount) is created (I think) in advance. Were there been such tests anywhere? Perhaps somebody has experience about this. Is there any workaround?

Thanks

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by szinkopa (had 2366 views)

User (Old forums)

In the applications we develop, we use Xceed grid to display and edit tables with tens of thousands of rows, and quite a lot of columns. If you use the right techniques, you can make it fast.
    In our application, it usually takes longer to transport the data from the server to the client, than it does to fill the grid.
    Of course it consumes a lot of memory, but I’ve noticed that the grid is very efficient.

Be sure to call grid.BeginInit() before filling the data, and grid.EndInit() after.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Tommy (had 202 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks.
    BeginInit() & EndInit() makes the grid not redraw itself?

I have thought that I will implement a technique that will download only a subset of the whole query. I thought of 2 options:

1st: One can access the whole query sequencially, when he reaches the bottom or top of the subset, then the next subset would be loaded into the dataset

2nd: I would display groups for the subsets, but the records of it would be only downloaded when the user would like to see its records.

Subsets would be a day when sorting by date, and the first letter when sorting by a string.

Other, better idea perhaps?

Apparently this is more work, but it becomes faster.

But first I will test the grid with thousands of records.

Regards

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by szinkopa (had 3529 views)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.