Home Forums WPF controls Xceed DataGrid for WPF Sorting Datagrid Column which has no corresponding property on the base object

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    #44741 |

Afternoon,

Here is my scenario:

I have a lit of objects, composed somewhat like:

public class MyObject
    {
      string ValueA
      string ValueB
      int ValueC
      etc
    }

List<MyObject> MyList;

I have created my Datagrid, and defined the columns like so:

<xcdg:DataGridControl ItemsSource={Binding Source={StaticResource SortableViewSource}}>
      <xcdg:DataGridControl.Columns>
        <xcdg:Column FieldName="ValueA" Title"A Value"/>
        <xcdg:Column FieldName="ValueB" Title"B Value"/>
      </xcdg:DataGridControl.Columns>
    </xcdg:DataGridControl>

Now, I wish to apply custom sorting upon these columns. To do so, I have created a DataGridCollectionViewSource, like so:

<xcdg:DataGridCollectionViewSource x:Key="SortableViewSource" Source="{Binding MyList}" AutoCreateColumns="False">
      <xcdg:DataGridCollectionViewSource.ItemProperties>
        <xcdg:DataGridItemProperty Name="ValueA" SortComparer="{StaticResource MyCustomComparer}"/>  
        <xcdg:DataGridItemProperty Name="ValueB" SortComparer="{StaticResource MyCustomComparer}"/>   
      </xcdg:DataGridCollectionViewSource.ItemProperties>
    </xcdg:DataGridCollectionViewSource>

Everything works as expected. However, I have now added a NEW column to my datagrid. It is not bound to a property of the underlying object, instead it is multiple values run through a MultiBinding Converter.

For example, this new column looks similar to this:

<xcg:Column FieldName="MultiValue" Title"EdgeCase">
      <xcdg:Column.DisplayMemberBinding>
        <MultiBinding Converter="{StaticResource ResourceKey='MyMultiBindingConverter'}">
          <Binding ... />
          <Binding ... />
        </MultiBinding>
      </xcdg:Column.DisplayMemberBinding>
    </xcdg:Column>

It also works correctly. My new column appears in the DG, displaying the values I expect.

Now, I wish to SORT this column… Which I apparently cannot do.

I have added a DataGridItemProperty, and discovered this one demands that I complete the DataType property. As a result, this sort of DataGridItemProperty has been added to the DataGridCollectionViewSource.ItemProperties:

<xcdg:DataGridItemProperty Name=”MultiValue” SortComparer=”{StaticResource MyCustomComparer}” DataType=”{x:Type sys:String}”/>

Everything compiles, and the application launches without issue. However, when I go to sort the new column, I discover that the SortComparer is getting null for both values. All the other columns, which are wired to existing properties of the underlying object sort.

How can I sort this column, which is not wired to an existing property of the underlying object, but which is instead a value generated from a multibinding?

I have tried different values for the DataType, including:
    (x:Type sys:Object}
    (x:Type Multibinding}
    (x:Type DataObject}

No matter what I list as the datatype, the the SortComparer still only ever receives null values when sorting that column.

Fawzi [Xceed]

Hi,

The first thing I noticed by checking your code is that you are using an ItemProperty to add your unbound column to the DataGrid. In a scenario like this, you should use the UnboundItemProperty instead and see if sort works. Could you give this a try and tell me if that fixes the issue. If not, could you send me a simple stand alone sample project which reproduces the issue so that I could have a closer look. You may send it to: support@xceed.com

guidedbycthulhu
    Participant

Afternoon Fawzi,

I have changed the DataGridItemProperty to DataGridUnboundItemProperty; it still supplies nulls to the SortComparer.

I will attempt to make an example solution as soon as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions in the meantime, please feel free to post…

guidedbycthulhu
    Participant

I have created a sample project replicating the issue, and have sent it to the email you provided. I look forward to your input.

guidedbycthulhu
    Participant

Fawzi came up with a solution to the issue. For posterity, I am going to post the solution in case someone else wants to know the solution.

First, remove the Multibinding completely. It should now look something like this:
    <xcg:Column FieldName=”MultiValue” Title”EdgeCase” ReadOnly=”True”/>

Now, in the DataCollectionViewSource, you will change the DataGridUnboundProperty to resemble this:
    <xcdg:DataGridItemProperty Name=”MultiValue” SortComparer=”{StaticResource MyCustomComparer}” QueryValue=”CodeBehind_QueryValue”/>

The important part is the QueryValue, which will be a method in our codebehind. That method will look like the following:

private void CodeBhind_QueryValue(object sender, Xceed.wpf.datagrid.DatagridItemPropertyQueryValueEventArgs e)
    {
    e.Value = “Your custom value”;
    }

Bam, you can now sort on the Unbounded item with the custom SortComparer.

Thanks Fawzi!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.