Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms grid selection behavior

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    #16923 |

I am trying to simulate Windows Explorer selection behavior in an Xceed grid that I use as a cell editor. I set the grid’s SelectionMode to MultiExtended, and that almost does the job, with a couple of exceptions.

Suppose the cell editor grid as two items in it, Item1 and Item2, displaying as two rows in the grid. Clicking on Item1 from another cell in the parent grid selects it, as it should. But if you hold down one of the modifier keys, Ctrl or Shift or both, then Item1 does not select. It is necessary to click on it again. Also, if the cell editor grid has been selected, but no rows have been selected within it, then click and ctrl-click will select Item1, but shift-click and ctrl-shift-click will not. In Windows Explorer all of these selection methods work regardless of the modifier keys.

Now suppose I have selected Item1 and Item2 in the cell. In Windows Explorer, if I now release the mouse button, and then click again anywhere on the selection, the selection does not change until I release the mouse a second time. In my cell editor grid, if I release the mouse button, the selection changes immediately on the second click.

I think this behavior will confuse users who are accustomed to Windows Explorer. Is there a fairly simple way to simulate Explorer, or will I have to tamper endlessly with the various mouse events?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron Haspel

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Aaron (had 1815 views)

User (Old forums)

It is normal that when moving from another cell to the cell containing a gird while holding a modifier key will not select the item with the grid cell, since this modifier key is handled by the parent grid, which is holding the selection of the other cell + the grid cell as a whole.

As for the shift-click and Ctrl+shift-click when the cell editor is activated, it works fine on our side.  We would need a sample reproducing the issue to be able to investigate that further.

Lastly, the way the selection works in the grid (you can test it in a non-CellEditor grid), works a bit different from Windows Explorer (your description is right), and it is likely not possible to change that, apart from changing the source code of the grid itself.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 1984 views)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.