Home Forums ActiveX components Xceed Encryption for ActiveX encrypting jpg, tiff, pdg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    #42900 |

Will this product encrypt scanned files (jpegs, tiffs) or pdfs?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Oneg (had 6235 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Yes, it will encrypt any data.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 393 views)

User (Old forums)

Great! I did not see an example of that in your eval package specific to these types of files. In your example I am showing below, if I substitute test.jpg (which could be a scanned picture) for source.txt, would it be encrypted?

‘ Encryption example

Dim xEnc As New XceedEncryption

Call xEnc.License( “your license key” )

Dim vaBytesRead As Variant

Set xEnc.EncryptionMethod = New XceedRijndaelEncryptionMethod

On Error Resume Next

Call xEnc. EncryptionMethod.SetSecretKeyFromPassPhrase(“This is a weak pass phrase!”, 128)

Call xEnc.ProcessFile(“c:\temp\source.txt”, 0, 0, efpEncrypt, True, “c:\temp\encrypted.aes”, False, vaBytesRead)

If Err.Number = 0 Then

Call MsgBox(“Encryption successful!”)

Else

Call MsgBox(Err.Description)

End If

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Oneg (had 431 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Definitely!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 374 views)

User (Old forums)

Ok then I assume that if I can encrypt a jpg file I can encrypt a MS Access.MDD. If that is the case, then in this code, when I decrypt the file into c:\temp\decryptedmsdb.mdb, anybody can now read it, correct? And if the program ends abnormally, how do I make sure the c:\temp\decryptedmsdb.mdb file goes away? What I am trying to do is figure out when to enrypt the database itself or just encrypt data within the database. Also, several programs will have to access the database at the same time. This makes it seem like I need to encrypt data within the database. Is that correct?

‘ Decryption example

Dim xEnc As New XceedEncryption

Call xEnc.License( “your license key” )

Dim vaBytesRead As Variant

Set xEnc. EncryptionMethod = New XceedRijndaelEncryptionMethod

On Error Resume Next

Call xEnc. EncryptionMethod.SetSecretKeyFromPassPhrase(“This is a weak pass phrase!”, 128)

Call xEnc.ProcessFile(“c:\temp\encryptedmsdb.aes”, 0, 0, efpDecrypt, True, “c:\temp\decryptedmsdb.mdb”, False, vaBytesRead)

If Err.Number = 0 Then

Call MsgBox(“Decryption successful!”)

Else

Call MsgBox(Err.Description)

End If

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Oneg (had 393 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

This type of situation seems to come up often. When the database itself does not have native support for encryption, there are definitely some big tradeoffs in exchange for the security.

If you encrypt the .MDB, then you should be doing so only after you have ensured nobody is accessing it, and also that nobody accesses it while it is encrypted (of course), and also during the decryption process. Same rules as if your encrypted .MDB was a backup file. And you’ll have to decrypt and then re-encrypt the entire database file every time someone needs to access it…

Encrypting the actual data in the fields is much better, but again, without built-in encryption, you will then lose the ability to perform queries on the encrypted data. Limited queries such as “Select * where A=B” could be made to work, but “Select * where A like B” would not.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 5951 views)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.