Home Forums WPF controls Xceed DataGrid for WPF copying and pasting from Excel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    #22401 |

I tried out the demo and was really impressed. I have been using an Excel Office Web Component object in my pages where users would enter data and I would use parameters to set up per page client side script doing the validation and popup windows when double clicking cells on certain columns for dropdown choices. Upon submitting a form that wrapped this object, I would use the Excel object’s XML output to output to hidden fields and then load into a db – certainly not what that OWC control was meant for, but it has been working for me. In looking at your demo, you have a lot of what I have had to manually implement and then some! I would really like to switch to using this as I start developing in WPF and then I would no longer have to maintain my object.

The question that I have is related to Excel. I read in the features list that it supports Excel type editing with using Esc to undo cell changes and such. But I was wondering can it be set up to allow copying and pasting of cell ranges from Excel. I tried doing that in the demo, but could not seem to, but maybe that is something the DataGrid can be configured to accept? Also can ranges be copied from the DataGrid and pasted into Excel? I couldn’t seem to select a range in the demo.

If so, how would that affect data validation? In the OWC control I used, I made it so that if any field in the pasted region received an invalid data type that it would show a message and then undo the paste (obviously your implementation is much better in that the data is left but distinguished in some way to show that it is invalid). So if a 4×4 region was pasted into your DataGrid and the first two cells in the first row were invalid, then would the validation show both of those cells as containing invalid data? (assuming the DataGrid accepts pastes of ranges from Excel).

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by vdo (had 5273 views)

User (Old forums)

We do not currently support copy/pasting to/from Excel, but this feature is on our list. I have added you vote towards this feature!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Pascal (had 821 views)

User (Old forums)

Add my vote for this feature as well. How would one go about implementing this? Somehow intercept the Paste command in the cell, figure out where you are, and then change the data set behind the data displayed?

Friedrich

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Friedrich (had 708 views)

User (Old forums)

Great! Thanks for info.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by vdo (had 759 views)

User (Old forums)

Yes, I would love this feature.

I have created a hacky work-around to emulate this capability. However, I would rather have it built in the control 🙂

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by toedwy (had 689 views)

User (Old forums)

are there any updates on this feature yet?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Patrick (had 743 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

With v2.0 now released, we’ll be reviewing our plans for the upcoming versions and take into consideration the popularity of this request along with others. I’m going to post a roadmap as soon as it is available.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 4919 views)

User (Old forums)

Add a vote for me too!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Joel (had 1176 views)

Xceed Support

I have a sample that demonstrates the basics of how to copy and paste from the grid to excel and back. If anyone is interested, they can download it.

Just remember that this is a workaround and not the actual implementation of copy/paste in the grid.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 2820 views)

User (Old forums)

Jenny,

I found your sample very useful – thanks!

I have a question though about the row selector (maybe a bug in grid?):

– When I run your sample project and click on the row selector (grey area to left of first column), the event does not fire (I have set a breakpoint in SelectRow).
    – IF I group by any column header, a row selector (grey area) appears in the indent, and that ones works correctly (row is highlighted) BUT the event still does not fire.
    – I have added a second grouping and continue to click randomly on various row selectors… and suddenly one of them actually works and I get a little black arrow to indicate the row is selected. 

What is going on? Is this a bug in the grid, or in the demo? 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jack (had 893 views)

Xceed Support

Hi Jack,

There seems to be an issue with the RowSelector not having a background. I will create a ticket for this. In the meantime, you can add the following setter to the RowSelector style:

<Setter Property=”Background” Value=”Transparent” />

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 938 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks Jenny,

The selection now works, but please note that the row selector icon does not show up.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jack (had 1155 views)

User (Old forums)

Indeed, when re-styling the rowSelector you will lose the triggers associated with with the rowSelector. In this particular case, you would have to redo the template of the rowSelector in order to bring back the triggers. This is something that we would like to re-touch for future version to make this process easier for our users. You can check the TableView.Aero.normalcolor.xaml file to find the templates for the rowselector and start from there.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Matt (had 1538 views)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.