Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed Zip & Real-Time Zip for .NET Zipping Files from the web

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    #19514 |

Hi there,

I’m wondering what will be the best way to zip some files up via the web. Essentially I have a page that will allow a user to select some documents and then allow the user to download a zip of all of those documents.

Currently all documents sit on a non-web accessable RAID drive, but the webserver has access too. I’ve been playing around with QuickZip to do this, but I always get a “there was an error” which really doesn’t help me much. When I use the QuickZip.Zip option, I give it the path and file name of the empty text file I renamed to “something.ZIP” and then pass it a string array as suggested. Thats about as far as I get.

Anyone have a good suggestion on how to possibly do this, or am I using the wrong tools completely.

Thanks in Advance for your help

I’m using VS 2005 C# .NET 2.0 Release

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by XanthViper (had 4244 views)

User (Old forums)

You inspired me a <a href=”http://blogs.xceedsoft.com/plantem/PermaLink,guid,e89375a1-63e3-470f-b804-28ef40192554.aspx”>more precise blog post</a> about the subject. Hope this helps.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Martin (had 344 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the example. It does give me a new way to look at doing this. I am curious though, how would you go about adapting this to this being used with a object?

Meaning I have an assembly that will have a method that will create the zip file as I pass in, say one files path. That way I can just return the path as to where the file was saved at.

I think in your example, we are trying to force the zip file down to the user which is good, but in my case I’m bound by a business rule to not allow that to happen. Considering I would like to call this from multiple places, having a method in a referenced assembly for my website is perfect.

Thanks for your time.

Charlie

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by XanthViper (had 325 views)

User (Old forums)

BTW, here is what I am currently working with, mind you it is still rough (and don’t laugh at my random file name creator 😀 ):

public string CreateDownloadPackage(int userID, string docList)
    {

Tools ArchTool = new Tools(ModuleSettings.ConnectionString);

//ok, first we need to create a folder to zip up on the thumbs directory

//Generate Random Folder Name
    //Folder name will be date time stampe + userid
    string ZipSavePath = ModuleSettings.DocThumbFilePath;
    string ZipFolderName = DateTime.Now.Month.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Day.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Year.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Hour.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Minute.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Second.ToString() + “_” + userID.ToString();
    string ZipFileName = DateTime.Now.Month.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Day.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Year.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Hour.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Minute.ToString() + DateTime.Now.Second.ToString() + “_” + userID.ToString() +”.zip”;

if (Directory.Exists(ZipSavePath + ZipFolderName) == false)
    Directory.CreateDirectory(ZipSavePath + ZipFolderName);

//now let’s create the actual zip file
    File.Create(ZipSavePath + ZipFolderName + “\\” + ZipFileName);

//ok, now we need to loop through each document, get it’s path, and copy it to the save place

//Get an array of the DocID’s
    string[] SplitDocIDs = docList.Split(new Char[] { ‘~’ });

string[] DocsToBeZipped = null;
    int DocCounter = 0;

DocsToBeZipped = new string [SplitDocIDs.GetUpperBound(0)];

for (int i = 0; i < SplitDocIDs.GetUpperBound(0); i++)
    {

if (ArchTool.IsFlagSet((DocumentFlags)(ArchTool.GetDocumentFlag(SplitDocIDs[i])), DocumentFlags.LocalUseAndPrint) == true)
    {
    <b> //here is where we will create a string array of all documents that need to be zipped. //This will return the full path of the file
    DocsToBeZipped[DocCounter] = GetDocOriginalFilePath(SplitDocIDs[i].ToString());</b>
    DocCounter++;
    }

}

//ok, now we have moved all of the files, let’s do some “ZIPPING”
    <b>
    Xceed.Zip.Licenser.LicenseKey = ModuleSettings.XCEEDLicenseKey;
    QuickZip.Zip( ZipSavePath + ZipFolderName + “\\” + ZipFileName, DocsToBeZipped);
    </b>

//clean up objects
    ArchTool = null;

//ok, all is good, so let’s return the webpath of the file

string RetString;

RetString = ModuleSettings.DocThumbWebURL + “\\” + ZipFolderName + “\\” + ZipFileName;

return RetString;

}

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by XanthViper (had 463 views)

User (Old forums)

And finally, here is the exception I get when the QuickZip.Zip is rung:

<b>An error occurred while adding files to the zip file.</b>

Ok..i’m done posting. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by XanthViper (had 348 views)

User (Old forums)

bump…

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by XanthViper (had 5184 views)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.