Home Forums WPF controls Xceed DataGrid for WPF Xceed WPF DataGrid performance considerations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #21650 |

I did some performance tests with Xceed WPF DataGrid in TableView and compared it to the homemade WPF grid (which is just a thin wrapper for MS ListViewControl with custom UI-virtualizable grouping), trying to keep equivalent load conditions for both (same data sets, very similar styles for DataRows and ListViewItems, identical CellTemplates, etc.).

My tests included adding 10000 data rows, scrolling up/down, grouping/ungrouping and group expand/collapse operations.

I found that on average Xceed DataGrid performance is 2 to 3 times slower than that of the ListViewControl’s based grid on Windows XP SP2 ( and about 2 times slower on Vista RTM)

Also I saw something that might be a bug – on a dual Xeon 3GHz CPU computer it took about 1 second for the Xceed DataGrid to group 10000 records when is it scrolled all the way up (geenerating 50 groups of 200 items each) – not bad at all; but if the grid control is already scrolled down half way or closer to the end of 10000 row set, then the same grouping operation was taking 30-40 seconds.

Do you guys feel a potential for higher DataGridContol’s performance in future updates? It there a timeline for the next release or a SP yet?

We would really want to use Xceed grid in our development – the Blueprint edition; – I’d like to know your opinion on those question before we make final decision.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Alexander (had 7069 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

>>”Do you guys feel a potential for higher DataGridContol’s performance in future updates? It there a timeline for the next release or a SP yet?”

I think you asked the proper question. Before release of v1.0, our team spent only a brief amount of time on performance. At the time, we did not spot any obvious areas where performance could be improved in time for release. But we are hopeful that there will be a lot of minor performance gains we can achieve here and there. We don’t have enough data to tell you whether or not there is a potential for a really significant performance gain.

But we’ll know soon enough, and will report back here. It was in our plans, and the community (you, and others on this and other forums) is confirming that it’s necessary to work on increasing the control’s performance. We have thus already started (no rest in this small yet highly competitive market!), and part of this product’s team will continue to work on the performance issue until everyone is satisfied.

Release schedule: It is our intention to have a release every 5 weeks, containing bug fixes, performance enhancements, new free features, and in the larger releases, more 2D/3D views. That’s about 10 releases a year.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 492 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

“Also I saw something that might be a bug”

Oh, I forgot to mention – we’ll be investigating it, thanks for pointing it out.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 376 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Hi,

Just dropping in to give you an update:

We have identified a variety of promissing areas where performance can be improved so far, and work on them is in progress. Related to your particular concerns, we have already significantly reduced the grouping time when scrolled down, by over a factor of 5. So it takes about 5 seconds instead of 30 seconds, though we are well aware this is still a lot. We plan to release that improvement in the next update, but are going to continue working on it, of course. Concerning scrolling and general grouping speed, we are optimistic about achieving good results, although that will take more time.

We will keep the community updated about the performance improvements releases as we have more information, but so far, things are looking good and we’re already starting to see results.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 5282 views)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.