Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed SFTP/FTP for .NET Xceed.Ftp.FtpIOException: The reception of a reply from the

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #20772 |

I received this error when I tried to download a 950MB file from an ftp server.

Xceed.Ftp.FtpIOException: The reception of a reply from the server timed out.

When I tried to increase the time out limit on the xceed ftp client, for some reason I was not able to set the time out limit successfully.. I also saw other developers had the same trouble.

How can I set the time out limit correctly?

THanks!
    Chew Chee

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by limchewc (had 4836 views)

User (Old forums)

I suggest that you set the TraceWriter property, and send the resulting log file to <a href=”mailto:support@xceedsoft.com”>support@xceedsoft.com</a>. We need more information to find the source of the problem.

ftpConn.TraceWriter = new StreamWriter(@”D:\FtpLog.log”, true);

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 434 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks Andrec. I am taking the log. (sorry for my late response due to heavy load at work).
    I will be sending the log to support group this afternoon. Again, I need to remove some information from the log as due to confidentiality and legal issues..

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by limchewc (had 317 views)

User (Old forums)

Your problem is probably due to a firewall that closes the command channel, while the transfer keeps going on on the data channel. The reason for this is that the firewall, not seeing any communication on the command channel, closes it after a certain time. So when the server has finished transferring the data, it send the reply to tell the client that the transfer is done, but the reply doesn’t go through, so the component never receive the the reply, and it times out at a certain point.

There are three things that can be done. You can set the KeepAliveInterval property (which send a NOOP command to the server on the command channel at a specified interval) to a value, in seconds, that is bellow the firewall threshold for closing the connection. Or, if you have access to it, set the firewall so it does not close an ftp connection, or set a greater threshold time. Last, you can monitor the size of the file, and when you know the whole file has been transfered, you can call the Abort() method, and you will be able to continue your process.

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 399 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks! Increasing the firewall time out limit on the command channel fixed the problem.

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by limchewc (had 5385 views)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.