Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed Zip & Real-Time Zip for .NET Windows compression folder and Xceed Zip

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    #19494 |

Hi,

The compression folder capability that comes with Windows XP for viewing (and compressing) zipped files under Explorer won’t view the contents in an Xceed zipped file. I assume Windows is using an NTFS compression algorithm while Xceed uses PKZip? Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks in advance.

Eric C.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by SoftDev (had 2131 views)

User (Old forums)

Before I answer, I want to make sure we are not mixing two technologies.

First, NTFS drives can have compressed folders and files. This type of compression is a low-level compression handled by Windows, and has nothing to do with ZIP files. You can have volumes (partitions) supporting compression, and you can toggle compression by right-clicking on a file or folder, go to the properties, click on the “Advanced…” button and check the “Compress contents to save disk space”. Again, it’s not related to zip files.

Second, with Windows XP (and Windows 98 with the Plus! pack), Windows Explorer lets you double-click on a ZIP file and display it as if it was a folder, copy files out of or into that zip file, etc, somehow like does the Xceed FileSystem model which exposes a ZIP archive as just another AbstractFolder. Zip files created with Xceed Zip for .NET (and ActiveX) should be viewable with Windows Explorer, and vice-versa. If you have a zip file created with Xceed Zip for .NET that you can’t uncompress or view in Windows Explorer, I strongly suggest you contact <a href=”mailto:support@xceedsoft.com”>Xceed Support</a> with a sample zip file and code to reproduce this. You can also attach a WinZip test log, that wouldn’t hurt!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Martin (had 2976 views)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.