Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms WinForm generation drops col.initialize method

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    #16408 |

I have VS 2008 and Xceed grid v3.2.7205.0. I have a project that was upgraded from 1.1 ,Net Framework to 2.0 .Net framework. There are around 20 xceed grids used in this app. They all work OK until I need to change the dataset for one. Then that one does strange things: The WinForm components changes all XCeed grid elements to the Private modifier from Friend. And all of the columns for the grid have lost their .initialize method call.

Any ideas?  

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Doug (had 977 views)

User (Old forums)

Sounds like a backward compatibility problem of VS2008 for .NET 1.1.  Unfortunately, we do not provide support for our .NET 1.1 components in VS2008.

Did you try to do the same by creating a new project using the .NET 1.1 components, to see if you get the same issues?  In the case you do not get the same issues, you could make new project, and simply copy the source code for the old project to the new one.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 374 views)

User (Old forums)

Are you saying that you have never seen this problem before?

This project is well in excess of 600 files. Your suggestion is impractical for us. 

What started this mess was when we upgraded to the .Net 2.0 versions of your grid. Since you so thoughtfully uninstalled the 1.1 version of your product , I was unable to support our existing code bases. (I was aware of the uninstall and consequently installed the 1.1 service pack, as suggested.) It was uninstalling your new products and the sp and re-installing our 1.1 versions that added to our grief. I believe that the uninstall of your new products left a lot of residual garbage, and that is what is actually causing this problem.

Any thoughts? 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Doug (had 350 views)

User (Old forums)

Yes, we have not encounter this issue before. 

The uninstall works well on our side, and should not left any “garabage”, as you say.  However, there may be scenarios where problems may arise, since we all have come across a software that did not uninstall correctly, and which was not necessarily due to the software itself.

However, would that explain your issue?  Possible, but I doubt it.  Do you get this issue only on one development machine or on many (actually, have you tried it on another development machine)?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 307 views)

User (Old forums)

I wish I had another development machine to work with. Unfortunately that’s not the case, which makes this that much more critical.

I was able to make limited progress by reinstalling v3.7 components (but using a 3.2 license we have). Unfortunately, I am now unable to support the 1.1 framework products we have in production, due to the trashing of the older controls in the registry as a result of the re-install. I say limited progress because I now have to re-establish all the column managers on all the grids.

When I look at the established grids, all the data cells have red diagonal slashes in them and there is no option to select the column manger cell. Perhaps there is a quick way to recover all those column manager cells?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Doug (had 348 views)

User (Old forums)

Normally, the red diagonal slashes means there is a mix up in the persistence code of the form.

As for the designer itself, the problem is most likely due to the fact that the version the designer refers to differs from the one in the GAC.

I’m not sure how to help you further other than specifying how the upgrade normally works, and what are the options.

First, once the project is upgraded to VS2008, the project should work as is, BEFORE updating to the .NET 2.0 components.  In other words, .NET 1.1 components should work fine in VS2008.

Second, once you upgrade our components to the latest .NET 2.0 version, and the “Specific Version” property of all Xceed references are set to false, the project should compile and work as is (except for the license key), since our components are backward compatible.

Third, if you want to use the .NET 2.0 components only for new development, and keep using the .NET 1.1 components for existing project, then you need to install the latest Service Pack for .NET 1.1 components.  Once this is done, you need to manually install the dlls in the GAC, so the designer will keep working.  To do this, copy the following dlls to the C:\Windows\assembly\ folder :

Xceed.Grid.dll, Xceed.Grid.Design.dll, Xceed.Editors.dll, Xceed.Editors.Design.dll, Xceed.UI.dll, Xceed.Validation.dll, Xceed.Validation.Design.dll

Once this is done, open VS2008, add the .NET 1.1 components you just added to the GAC into the Toolbox (you will need to browse to the folder where you installed the .NET 1.1 components, because the “Choose items” dialog box will only show assemblies from .NET 2.0 and up), in a different tab preferably, so you can distinguish which are .NET 2.0 and which are .NET 1.1 controls.  Then open your old project, make sure the design form is closed, make sure the “Specific Version” of all Xceed references are set to “true” this time, and make sure they refer to the .NET 1.1. versions.  If this is not the case, delete them and add them again, form the path where you installed the .NET 1.1.  components (again, they will not appear in the “Add Reference” dialog box, because it only shows assemblies from .NET 2.0 and up, so you need to use the browse button).

Once this is done, rebuild the project, open the designer, and the .NET 1.1 grid designer should be displayed, and you should be able to edit the grid at design time.

I just personally tested the second and third options again, and it works fine.

In your case, I can only suggest that you uninstall everything, go back in your source code to the point before upgrading to the .NET 2.0 components, then try the third option (or start working with the .NET 2.0 components for all your projects).

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 244 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks Andre,

I’ve been through much of what you’re suggesting. I have made minimal changes and have the next version development underway.

Your instructions to install the dlls to the assembly solved my 1.1 problem. I did not have the .Design.dll versions installed. Once I added those, I was able to build and run the 1.1 versions of my project.

Thanks, again!

Doug

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Doug (had 1111 views)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.