Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed SFTP/FTP for .NET Visual Studio 2012 Not Supported

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #21377 |

Warning    67    The primary reference “Xceed.Ftp.v5.1” could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the .NET Framework assembly “System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a” which has a higher version “4.0.0.0” than the version “2.0.0.0” in the current target framework.

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Daniel (had 1388 views)

Diane [Xceed]

Hi Daniel,

You are trying to use version 5.1 of our FTP for .NET component in a project that is not targeting the .NET 4.0 framework. Therefore the error you are getting is normal. You need to use version 4.3 of the component instead, which is meant for .NET 3.5 SP1 or lower.

The Quick Preview section on each product’s page indicates which version is the latest one for which environment.

Link: http://xceed.com/FTP_NET_Intro.html

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Diane [Xceed] (had 354 views)

User (Old forums)

My project is using the defaults as per set for WinForms in VB.NET 2012 which is as follows:

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-8″ ?>
    <configuration>
        <startup>
            <supportedRuntime version=”v4.0″ sku=”.NETFramework,Version=v4.5″ />
        </startup>
    </configuration>

The error message is coming from the component itself (the WinForms http://FTP.NET object on the toolbar) 

If I create the FTP object using pure code, such as >>

Imports Xceed.Ftp
    Public Class Form1
        Dim WithEvents ftp As New FtpClient 
    End Class

Then I can work with the object.  The other thing I noticed about your .NET components is that there is no where on the component itself to set the License. It must be set either in Sub Main()  (a horrible way to build a WinForms project), or inside the constructor in Protected Overrides Sub OnCreateMainForm() which gets overwritten when altering certain properties of the project.  It would be nice if this would work under Form_Load() Event or added to the object’s properties when added to the WinForm in the IDE as per your previous editions for Visual Basic 6 .

I will double-check and re-create a new project from scratch again using only the default settings (as per stated above), as it may be possible while I was playing around with embedding CEF into another project it may have altered this projects properties.

(also, as a side note, while writing this post, every line I wrote, I had to go back and delete the carriage returns x 2 for each line, and use SHIFT+ENTER to create a single carriage return — this is an issue that is occuring in the latest [as of this date] version of Chrome. I did not notice this issue when using Mozilla Firefox)

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Daniel (had 202 views)

Diane [Xceed]

Hi Daniel,

I apologize if I misunderstood the situation. In the error message you posted it seemed to indicate that the current target framework was version “2.0.0.0” and that you were using http://FTP.v51 which targets version “4.0.0.0”.

In your latest post, I see the following: sku=”.NETFramework,Version=v4.5″

If you are trying to target the .NET 4.5 framework, then that may be the issue, as the FTP for .NET does not support that version. The latest versions we have for that component are 4.3 (.NET 3.5 SP1 and lower) and 5.1 (.NET 4.0).

Please refer to the Quick Preview section in the top right of each product’s page to see the current versions and the platform/framework they target: http://xceed.com/FTP_NET_Intro.html

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Diane [Xceed] (had 263 views)

User (Old forums)

I understand where you may see the sku as a problem, however this is standard for VS 2012, and if you notice “version=4.0” I guess is Microsoft’s way of hybridizing the new framework to support 4.0 components until everyone is on board with 4.5 .

In my travels with playing with this component (lost registration for VB6 version, and apparently you guys have no record anymore >.<), I have found the following additional issues with the .NET component, to which this, and the fact it has been quite some time since there was an updated version for what I believe to be one of your best components.

1. There is no IsAuthenticated method or similar for checking if the user has been authenticated, or if credentials are still required. This is not only good for checking existing connections with IsConnected, but can also act as a fallback check if authentication fails.

2. Async has been deprecated, and it is really quite a chore to add in full threading support for this so that long directory lists, etc can happen without needing to create all of this functionality from scratch. (I will attach some rudimentary code I have written to attempt to address this, but cross-threading is a nightmare. It would be nice to assign a task, then have it run on a background thread until that task has completed, then fire an event. Currently, FtpClient class is fully blocking UI which means for every action it needs to have a thread proc written.

3. GetDirectorySeperator does not reliably return the / or \ in use for path separation on the server, and as a result makes it very difficult to reliably traverse a folder.

4. There is no CDUP  or method to change the directory to one folder up from current path. I understand we can use raw commands to issue this, however as it is such a basic method, it really should be included.

5. The Connected event fires multiple times. Once when connected to the host, and once after authenticating. It also seems to fire after every command.

One bonus to initializing this component from a Class is I can add the License to the New() method rather than having to edit it in the Application.Data or being forced to initialize my application using a Sub Main() rather than loading the start form directly.

(ps: I just remembered after getting this far and about to paste the code I wrote in that there is no paste code option, and I do not see an option to upload/attach a file, so here is the PasteBin link >>  http://pastebin.com/wF3wK9YQ )

Applies to Xceed FTP for .NET. Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Daniel (had 1124 views)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.