Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    #12789 |

Is there any list and/or release date for version 2.0?
    Specifically, I was wondering whether or not it included options for merging cells (at least in viewing it), Offered Fixed Columns (in addition to Rows), and changing the color of Check Boxes (rather than default black).

-J

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by JIpock (had 5584 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

We are aiming for an early December release of this new version.

The major features are extensive support for hierarchical Master/Detail views, XP look & feel with themes that can match those currently used by the user, and treeview-like capabilities.

Merged cells, fixed columns (without a workaround like at present) and colored Checkboxes are not part of the improved feature set. The good news is, though, that Xceed’s developers that were working on Xceed Grid for .NET are not stopping at all (to work on another product for example). That means that now that we have completed the two major features (Master/Detail & XP with themes) we will be scouring this forum as well as our emailed requests from customers and be working on a number of less monumentally huge features such as the ones you mentionned. Which is why its important to let us know – time goes by fast.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 515 views)

User (Old forums)

Odi:

Can you explain what “hierarchical Master/Detail” is?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by C# (had 271 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

This is the ability to display a “sub grid” (a detail grid) for items (rows) listed in the grid. By example, suppose your rows represent university students (name, dates, etc.) and you want to allow your grid’s user to be able to view which classes they are enrolled in. You could always make it so that by double-clicking on the row you open up another window with another grid containing the list of classes for the student. With a grid that supports Master/Detail, you could easily make it so that (just like a treeview) the user clicks on a [+] icon to the left of the row and then display the list of the studen’ts classes right underneath the student’s data row right in the same grid.

With Xceed Grid for .NET, the detail grid that appears when you expand the data row, unlike other grids, does not introduce new scroll bars so you don’t end up having a scrolling window within a scrolling window, which is confusing. We developed it so that the main scrollbars of your “master” (parent) grid are still the only ones needed to view all the data.

Also, a big plus with Xceed Grid for .NET is that you can have 2 or more detail grids for each data row – so that when the user clicks the [+] symbol you can not only show a subgrid containing the student’s classes, but also a second subgrid (on the same level!) listing the student’s classmates for example.

Detail grids can also have their own details, making for multiple *levels* of details, but we don’t think allowing too many levels of information is a “good thing” because the grid begins to get quite crowded – but you can do it if the circumstances call for it.

Another thing Xceed Grid for .NET’s Master/Detail supports is that the detail grids can display bound data or unbound data or both. When I say unbound I mean to display data that is not necessarily in some kind of collection at all. To put things even more into perspective, keep in mind that the “master grid” (the parent grid) can also be filled from either bound or unbound data.

Xceed’s implementation of this hierarchical display format displays tree lines that look exactly like a treeview so that end-users intuitively know how to use it and can quickly visualize and understand the relationships between the detail grid and the master (parent) grid. Of course, if the user also starts to “group” rows together in a grid using master/detail views, this means there are two hierarchies to display at the same time and things start to be a tad more confusing but still decypherable.

Keep in mind this is a powerful tool but you have to be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot allowing too many end-user options. We have made every attempt to keep things as uncluttered as possible in the event that you have like 3 levels of detail grids and are grouping data together with groups… Personally if I was offering my end-users a user interface with a grid offering multiple levels of detail grids they can open, I would make the group margin object invisible (that’s the grid element that makes groups look exactly like those in MS Outlook) keeping only the group header.

Detail grids can be synchronized (columns, column order, grouping, sorting) so that when one is changed, they all change, or can be independent. Just set a property.

I hope this gives you a clear picture of this new capability.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 776 views)

User (Old forums)

Odi:

Thanks for you’r reply.

Master/detail sounds like a really nice function.

Specially that it can be used with unbound data.

Regards
    C#

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by C# (had 337 views)

User (Old forums)

Odi:

Is the following possible with the new Master/detail:

(All unbound data.)

I have a arrayList of “Student” object, that I want to show in a grid.
    Each Student object have an ArrayList that contains Class objects.

Would it be possible to show each Student object in a datarow, and underneath each row, the students Class arrayList is shown ?
    (+/- icon)

So that I show 2 different objects in the same grid.
    And all unbound data.

//code snip……

using System;
    using System.Collections;

namespace GridGroupTest
    {
    public class Student
    {
    private string studentName = “”;
    private ArrayList al_StudentClasses = new ArrayList(); // arraylist that contains Class objects

public Student()
    {
    }

public string StudentName
    {
    get
    {
    return this.studentName;
    }
    set
    {
    this.studentName = value;
    }
    }

public ArrayList Al_StudentClasses
    {
    get
    {
    return this.al_StudentClasses;
    }
    set
    {
    this.al_StudentClasses = value;
    }
    }
    }
    }

……………………………..

using System;

namespace GridGroupTest
    {

public class Class
    {
    private string className = “”;

public Class()
    {
    }
    public string ClassName
    {
    get
    {
    return this.className;
    }
    set
    {
    this.className = value;
    }
    }
    }
    }
    ……………………………………………..

Regards
    C#

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by C# (had 285 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

C#,

Yes, you can do that, and a whole lot more too 🙂

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 459 views)

User (Old forums)

So I’ve noticed that the checkboxes in the grid do change color now. Mine are bright green to correspond with Windows XP. Unfortunately, that’s not really what we’re looking for…

Is it possible to change them back to black without creating my own checkbox editor/viewer?

Thanks,
    Christopher

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Christopher (had 6750 views)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.