Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    #19701 |

I am successfully unzipping tar files from various sources, but one is failing with
    the following exception “An unknown tar format was encountered. Xceed.Filesystem.Diskfile”
    at this line of code : Dim tarArchive As New TarArchive(file).
    This is not a single corrupt file, as all tar files from this source are the same.
    Is there anything I can do to examine this file to find out what’s wrong. Is there a workaround for such a problem?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by sallen (had 4728 views)

User (Old forums)

Not all tar formats are supported by our component. Here is more details from our online help documentation :

<a href=”http://doc.xceedsoft.com/products/FileSystemCore/doc/sources/tarcomponent/supported_tar_formats.htm”>http://doc.xceedsoft.com/products/FileSystemCore/doc/sources/tarcomponent/supported_tar_formats.htm</a&gt;

Our component supports only USTar format, and seeks the header based on this format, and if it doesn’t find the information it looks for, concludes it is not a supported format.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 442 views)

User (Old forums)

I’m getting a FileSystemNotSupportedException when trying “Dim tar As New TarArchive(DiskFile)” and came here to find out why. So I’m wondering about TAR formats. Is there some way for me to analyze my files to be sure? I have these tar-formatted files that I need to deal with — if it turns out they are one of the other flavors of tar, do have a suggestion for how to handle them? (Or will Xceed be able to in the very near future?)

Thanks,

Chris

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Christopher (had 568 views)

User (Old forums)

First, our library does not provide any means to deal with formats it does not support.

Second, there is no way to analyze the file in advance with our component. It seeks the header based on this format, and if it doesn’t find the information it looks for, it concludes it is not a supported format.

Third, it is not intended at this point to add support for other existing formats. If new formats become more standardized, then they may become supported, but at this time, we don’t know what format it would be, and when it would be added.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 4122 views)

User (Old forums)

Any update? Just spoke with tech support. We are evalating XCeed zip for .net as enterprise standard. Why wouldn’t you support the GNU Tar product? It is supported by both PKZip and WinZip.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Kenneth (had 408 views)

Diane [Xceed]

Hi Kenneth,

I do not have an answer as to why the GNU Tar format is not supported. It was simply never added.

Documentation:
    http://doc.xceedsoft.com/products/XceedFileSystem/TarComponent_Supported_tar_formats.html

I submitted a feature request to the development team, however I cannot offer a time frame yet as to if / when it will be added.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Diane [Xceed] (had 1354 views)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.