Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed Zip & Real-Time Zip for .NET Two Applications Using Xceed Causes "Could not load file or assembly" error

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #20054 |

Problem

For the last few years I have been supplying a 3rd party add-on for “Act! By Sage”.  Recently “Act! By Sage” released their latest version v11.  It would appear “Act! By Sage” have started using of the Xceed products in their software.  There now seems to be a conflict between my software add-on and “Act! By Sage”.  “Act! By Sage” are currently using Xceed 3.7.8113.16100 and I’m using Xceed 3.7.8465.14130.  My versions of Xceed are newer than theirs, at first I did not think there would be a problem as my add-on goes in the add-on folder and does not over write any of the main Act files, but “Could not load file or assembly” error keeps popping up.

Act!

C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows

Xceed.Compression.dll 3.7.8113.16100

Xceed.FileSystem.dll 3.7.8113.16100

Xceed.Zip.dll 3.7.8113.16100

3rd Party Software (my software)

C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Plugins

Xceed.Compression.Formats.dll 3.7.8465.14130

Xceed.Compression.dll 3.7.8465.14130

Xceed.FileSystem.dll 3.7.8465.14130

Xceed.Ftp.dll 3.7.8465.14130

Xceed.Zip.dll 3.7.8465.14130

Loading Act causes this error:

Could not load file or assembly ‘Xceed.Zip, Version=3.7.8465.14130, Culture=neutral,

PublicKeyToken=ba83ff368b7563c6’ or one of its dependencies. The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Question

Is it possible to run these files side by side in the same application?  Act loads the add-on into memory so odds are they have already loaded their version of Xceed into memory.

Will I have to conform to their version?

Note: As a test I copied my versions of Xceed into the main Act folder and overwrote theirs.  This did seem to fix the problem, but as sage is large company they are unlikely to care about 1 developer’s problems.  It would only take one update from them to break my add-on.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ray (had 1992 views)

User (Old forums)

You can’t reference two different versions of the same assembly in a project.  So you will definitely have to use the same version.  Moreover, I’m surprised that their application would work using your version of the assemblies.  Normally, in .NET, if you build your application with one version, then it should work only with that version at runtime (which explains the exception you get, else it would work with their version of Xceed).

However, since they provide an add-on interface, knowing that developers are also using the same 3rd party products they use (like Xceed), you could asked them to always use the latest version of these 3rd party.  This way, it would be easier to update your own application, and keep track of which version works with which.  This would be the least they can do, but that’s just my own humble opinion.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 505 views)

User (Old forums)

“Act! By Sage” have over 2.8 Million customers, I have about 200 customers.  I really doubt they will listen to me.

My only two options are to either downgrade my controls to Acts version (I’ll be playing catch up all the time they release a version) or rip out Xceed from my application and use an alternate control suite.

Thanks for your assistance.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ray (had 538 views)

User (Old forums)

You’re right, they are big, you are small.  However, if you encounter that problem, it is possible other developers will also.  And since they provide an add-on interface, well they have to consider those problem.  So I encourage you to contact them, so they are at least aware of the problem, and will consider it in their future development.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 2169 views)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.