Home Forums WPF controls Xceed DataGrid for WPF Strictly for .NET 2.0 and up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    #21571 |

Hi,

In the new 3.0 package setup, the General Package Information says:

This release contains components compiled strictly for .NET 2.0 and up. If you are currently using Xceed components that were compatible with .NET 1.1, do not install this package, as it will upgrade your previous package with components that only work with Visual Studio 2005 and up. The latest current package that is compatible with .NET 1.1 is v2.2.6565.0, scroll down to find it. Updates for Xceed’s .NET 1.1-compatible components are in the works, and will be provided as self-extracting update packages.

I have the following dude:
    What happens if I have projects with .NET 1.1 (VS 2003) and Xceed controls from 2.2.x.x version and I want to start new projects in the same computer using .NET Framework 3.0 and the new DataGrid for WPF?
    How my old projects will be affected if I install your last Xceed package setup with the new DataGrid? I need giving support of my old projects to my customers.
    Are there any way to have installed both versions?

Thanks,

Oscar A.G.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by oarrivi (had 4489 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Hi Oscar,

I believe we have a solution for you, released today in the Downloads -> Updates section. We have a new type of update package that we call a Service Pack. If you want to be able to try the new Datagrid for WPF but still want to work on projects using Xceed components for .NET 1.1, you can install the latest full Xceed package (containing the new Datagrid) and then run the Service Pack self-extractor to install the latest editions (with bug fixes) of the Xceed components for .NET 1.1 back onto the machine. Then, follow the instructions in the Service Pack readme to set your project references to the right versions of the DLLs.

http://xceed.com/pages/TopMenu/Downloads/Updates.aspx?Lang=EN-CA

I hope this solves it for you.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 424 views)

User (Old forums)

I’ve had the same issue. Yesterday evening I installed the WPF Grid (which I think is just awesome so far – incredible that you’re giving it away) and found out this morning that my 1.x framework products are all gone. I was careful to make sure I didn’t install the new versions of the 1.x products. I realized that this was possible since the installer says it will remove old products. None the less it seems like there has to be a better way of handling this.

I love Xceed products but I don’t think I can convince my boss to pay for an ongoing subscription for my ultimate suite license. I’ve occasionally had trouble with the whole update process breaking older components. Your update procedure is geared toward people that have subscriptions (not too surprising since you no doubt want all of us to have subscriptions) but even if I had a subscription I would still have old projects for which I can’t update the components without entering a big round of testing.

I seem to remember a couple years ago you used to give users the ability to download individual components in the suite. That, to me, would be better in this case. We should be able to download the latest version of just the components we want to update. We should also be able to download just the new components we want to buy. I suppose most customers, if they own one component and want to buy a new one will likely just pay for the suite but they still might not want to upgrade the old component.

If I want the help reinstalled for the old components do I need to install the full suite for the 3.x version then use the service pack or will the service pack install all the old help too?

Also, what if the components in the service pack are newer than when my subscription ran out? Do they gracefully degrade in feature set based on my serial numbers or do I need to ditch the WPF grid and reinstall from the component installer I archived?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by stevehiner (had 392 views)

User (Old forums)

I installed all components from the current suite then installed the service pack to get the 1.1 components back.

The readme says:
    “The assemblies are located in the Xceed Components Service Pack for .NET 1.1\Bin\ under the selected installation folder.”

I look in “C:\Program Files\Xceed Components for .NET 1.1\v1.1.7076\Bin\.NET” and I only find two files, Xceed.Chart.Renderer.exe and Xceed.Chart.Renderer.Service.exe.

Where are all of the dll files? I looked in the install folder for the new component install and they aren’t there either. From the Readme it doesn’t look like they get installed into the GAC by default.

Did I miss something here? I’d really like to work with the WPF grid but it’s starting to look like I’m going to have to remove all the new stuff and reinstall the old stuff just to get this working again. I have a feeling you’re going to irritate a lot of existing customers because of this.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by stevehiner (had 391 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Hi Steve,

First, a solution to your latest post:

It turns out that the binaries were indeed missing. We have corrected the issue and have replaced the downloadable Service Pack 1.1.7076 with a new version (same version number). If you download this one, it will have all the binaries.

So, the way to try out the WPF grid yet still have access to your older binaries for .NET 1.1, their manuals and the samples that go with them, you would install the latest full package containing the WPF grid, and then run the Service Pack.

Next, some additional answers:

>>”I suppose most customers, if they own one component and want to buy a new one will likely just pay for the suite but they still might not want to upgrade the old component.”

Honestly, we hear you. The transition to .NET 2.0-only components, while still supporting and offering .NET 1.1 has been made very tough by the fact that some components depend on others. But this ain’t over yet. There’s still work to be done.

>>”If I want the help reinstalled for the old components do I need to install the full suite for the 3.x version then use the service pack or will the service pack install all the old help too?”

The service pack will reinstall the old help too.

>>”Also, what if the components in the service pack are newer than when my subscription ran out? Do they gracefully degrade in feature set based on my serial numbers or do I need to ditch the WPF grid and reinstall from the component installer I archived?”

Yes, they gracefully degrade. The coolest thing about Xceed components is that even a key for Xceed Zip for .NET v1.0 will unlock the latest Xceed Zip for .NET v3.3 which is 5 years newer. You’ll benefit from the bug fixes and speed increases, but not from most new features (such as AES encryption for example).

As it stands, yes, you can try the WPF grid, as long as the .NET 1.1 versions from the service pack are the versions you tested with. If not, you need to put back the right DLLs. I guess future service packs should not cause older service packs to be removed, to eliminate this problem.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 371 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks for the quick response. Every time I’ve had an issue with Xceed software you’ve always been so helpful.

I copied the WPF stuff out of the 3.x install, removed the new component install, reinstalled the 1.x components and copied the wpf stuff into the appropriate directories. The Live Explorer works fine so I’m hopeful that this method will work too.

It’s great to know that my old serial numbers will still work with the newest binaries. That’s a great way to handle this issue. You aren’t the only component vendor that has trouble with new version but I think you’ve handled it the best. When I get into a position to have all my customers upgrade to fx 2.0 I will update all my Xceed components to get the bug fixes. Your technique deals with one major gripe people have with subscription models – you give us a way to get bug fixes without paying for them, that’s fantastic.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by stevehiner (had 5859 views)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.