Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms Speed of Grid when loading large amounts of data

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #16561 |

Is their anyway to tell the grid not to instantiate all the rows in a grid until it needs it.

We are using a custom paging table class we built, and if we tie it to a small table the grid shows up almost immediately.   If we tie it to a large dataset the grid takes a while to create the rows.   Is their someway we can short circuit the mechinism that causes it to create a million empty rows until it actually needs them.   It pages in the data properly when it needs to; but it appears to create all the cells when it gets the row count from the datatable.

Nathan

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nathanael (had 988 views)

User (Old forums)

Unfortunately, if your DataSource has a million rows, the grid will create a million rows.  Even with UIVirtualization set to Cells (which is the default setting), rows without cells will be created.  It is only the actual cells which are created as they are displayed.

The only way around is to have an intermediate DataSource which contains only the rows you need to display.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 400 views)

User (Old forums)

Is their anyway to tell the grid not to “create” the empty rows until they come into view?    The speed of paging through a million records is no different than a couple hundred.  But the speed of the “grid” being attached to a paging table with 1000 records vs 1,000,000 is killer and it is the grid that is killing the preformance.

If not, Is this a feature on the drawing boards at all?

Nathan.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nathanael (had 532 views)

User (Old forums)

The answer is no on both question, unfortunately.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 326 views)

User (Old forums)

Just for the record, I’m facing the same problem that Nathanael has described. I saw the light when Nathanael pointed me to the dynamic binding example, but now I’m stucked again. 

Could you suggest any workaround other than not loading so much data? (can’t convince my customers to change their habits)

Thanks in advance,

Jose

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jose (had 957 views)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.