Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms Removing a Column

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    #14092 |

Anyone run into a problem trying to remove some unnecessary columns?

Is there a way to remove a column from the designer view?
    i have a master/detail grid, and i do not want to show the 2 ID fields that are linking the two tables…

So i need to remove the first column from the master grid, and the first column from the DetailGrid, any way to do that in the designer? or is there only code you can call on startup to remove the first columns?

Thanks

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Artmic (had 8504 views)

User (Old forums)

Can you just set the visible property to false on the column you wish to hide?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by bluffrat (had 683 views)

User (Old forums)

Actually all it does is put like a red line on the column, but it still appears on the grid when i run the application.

Still no luck with it, i am probably forgetting something.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Artmic (had 179 views)

User (Old forums)

I find it easier to do everything within the code myself, that way it is explicit and you always know what is going on, especially as things grow more complex. My feeling was that the grid designer was for people who weren’t really programmers, but wanted to get something simple up and running quickly.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by IdleHand (had 246 views)

User (Old forums)

Yes i’m sure there are lots of things you can do in code, 🙂 The reason for getting this grid is to save time on development, not only its features.

Actually if you have a massive project, the visual designer is a bonus, one less grid to worry about configuring, and one less thing to worry about in terms of debugging.

Now if you have a company of 200 programmers, then that is meaningless, but if you have 2-3 developers, speed counts, and if you can do something in 2 minute instead of 30 min, multiplied by 100 grids in a project, we are talking about 200 minutes of work vs 3,000 minutes, that is a big time saving for me.

So yeah, for a student or person without deadlines, i’m sure doing everything in code is cool, they might as well go back to assembler.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Artmic (had 226 views)

User (Old forums)

I am using this grid for a large application, in a team of 3 developers, with a tight deadline, so I know where you are coming from.

I still think that creating re-usable component(s) around the grid, where your grids can be dynamically configured would be a better idea, instead of configuring your 100 grids by hand at runtime using the designer. But hey, I don’t know what your application does, it’s just my opinion.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by IdleHand (had 237 views)

User (Old forums)

The software we develop needs to be very dynamic, not just in terms of functionality or coding, but the visual aspect.

Each customer wants a grid, or Form layout this or that way, and doing this in code does not let us see the result of what it will look like right away. It is a pain to do 99 percent of it in code and then running the app to see if the visuals are up to spec, and what the customer requires.

That is one of the reasons a visual designer is very useful for me at least. for me it is like creating a report, you can do it in code, but it will take you longer because you have to run it each time to see the outcome of your adjustment/addition etc… if you can see it right away ,it saves time.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Artmic (had 211 views)

User (Old forums)

Hehe, the more you describe it, the more I think you would be better off doing it in code, but nevermind. I mean, changing it in the designer and then recompiling is the least dynamic way I can think of doing it. But this is getting off topic so let’s agree to disagree.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by IdleHand (had 534 views)

User (Old forums)

i’m a visually impaired developer 🙂 i need to see the outcome before i run the app lol or maybe i have been spoiled by some Delphi add-on grid components and i’m used to the speed of designing something that looks good in the designer before even running the app.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Artmic (had 228 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Great discussion!

What would you most like to see in the designer that it doesn’t have right now?

What about the Grid assistant – would you like to see it improved or removed?

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 215 views)

User (Old forums)

I do not use the grid assistant at this time, although it would be useful for people starting to get comfy with the grid. I hide the assitant at this point, and work with the designer, and properties page, works great.

Dealing with customers, they always nitpick at the visual look of the application, or grid, etc.. so it is always easier for me to make visual changes to a grid in the designer, without even launching the app to see the result.

1) The thing i’d love to see in the visual designer is a way to remove an ID column from a master or detail grid visually without doing any code… right now i select remove a column, and it puts a red slash across the column, but it is still there when i run the software,… (most likely i have to delete the column in the code)

2) I would love to have the master and Detail grids columns cellViewer exposed, so that the user can select what viewer will be used, for instance, they can select an “ImageViewer” for table fields that hold jpg/bmp images. ( I know it can be done in the code somehow, and even probably for the detail grid, but when you want to do the maxium amount of work, during 8 hours, every little shortcut helps)

3) Summary Value rows, auto-calc sum/avg/min/max , the user selects a cell, applies the formula for example “Sum” and the columns are summed up automatically, without doing one line of code. (This is perfect for simple tasks, which do not require additional coding, although it is usefull also to have the ability to override the SUM function with your own custom code)
    [This feature i believe will be coming out soon from Xceed, which i look forward to ]

Overall i love the Grid component and i’m sure over the years the Xceed grid will feature more functionality which will help speed up mundane development chores. 🙂
    The current Xceed Grid is a huge upgrade over the Grid that comes with Visual Studio.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Artmic (had 371 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Artmic, I believe I have lots of great news for you.

>>2) I would love to have the master and Detail grids columns cellViewer exposed, so that the user can select what viewer will be used, for instance, they can select an “ImageViewer” for table fields that hold jpg/bmp images. ( I know it can be done in the code somehow, and even probably for the detail grid, but when you want to do the maxium amount of work, during 8 hours, every little shortcut helps)

This is implemented in the upcoming v3.0, and in fact you can do so separately for the Cell Viewer and also the Cell Editor.

>>3) Summary Value rows, auto-calc sum/avg/min/max [..]

This is also implemented in the upcoming v3.0.

>>1) The thing i’d love to see in the visual designer is a way to remove an ID column from a master or detail grid visually without doing any code… right now i select remove a column, and it puts a red slash across the column, but it is still there when i run the software,… (most likely i have to delete the column in the code)

At design time, the technique to use, because we need to keep the column there, is rather to set the column to Invisible. An ID column still has to be there no matter what – but won’t setting it invisible do the trick for you?

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 572 views)

User (Old forums)

Odi, this is great news for sure 🙂

These new features will save lots of time when you need to configure 100 grids in an application.
    I love the Grid, and it keeps on getting better.

I can make the column data disapear, and that is good, but how do i make the Column header also disapear 🙂 that is my question lol

I know i can hide the ID’s data, which consists of autoInc numbers from SQL2000 table, but the Column header still displays a caption of “CID” and allocates a column header box on top of the header row…

Artmic

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Artmic (had 278 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

The column header is supposed to dissapear as well. Please take this up with support@xceedsoft.com.

Please send them a screenshot (they said that could help).

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 584 views)

User (Old forums)

Odi,
    I re-installed the component, and works ok now.

I have a question though, is there a sample demo of a master / detail grid from the Northwind database in MS-SQL, which has a picture displayed in the detail grid? i can display it in the master but not the Detail grid… weird.

Artmic

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Artmic (had 9563 views)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.