Home Forums WinForms controls Other WinForms controls Performance of the Treeview-Control …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    #17917 |

Hello,

i ‘ve a simple question. In my project i’m using a Smart-Treeview for navigating through the data of a database. With starting the program i load the data into the treeview. By now i’m loading about 200 nodes in the Treeview. This process is very very slow. I wrote a little program which compares the performance of the WinForms-Treeview and the SmartTreeview.

Loading 10000 nodes into the WinForm-Treeview last about 18 sec. Loading this only 1000 nodes into the Smart-Treeview lasts 6 min 33 sec.

Why the Smart-Treeview is less performant?

Kind Regards,

Ulf Hillig

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by UHillig (had 8214 views)

User (Old forums)

I also find the same result. The adding smartItem action is NOT linear!!!!

Add 10 Nodes : 234ms
    Add 20 Nodes : 469 ms
    Add 50 Nodes : 1500 ms
    Add 100 Nodes: 4700 ms
    Add 150 Nodes: 9550 ms
    Add 200 Nodes: 16000 ms

Can anybody from XCeed answer this?

Here is the code:

int start = Environment.TickCount;
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.Write(“Start building…”);
    this.smartTreeView.SuspendLayout();
    for (int i=0; i<150; i++)
    {
    Node node = new Node(“DynamicNode” + i.ToString());
    this.smartTreeView.Items[0].Items.Add(node);
    }
    this.smartTreeView.ResumeLayout();
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.Write(((int)(Environment.TickCount – start)).ToString() + “\n”);

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by jackjiaus (had 382 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

I’m pleased to let you both know that we are aware of this and that we are working on it at this very moment. We are also revising other areas where performance could use a big boost. Scrolling for example will also be faster now.

You should see a new SmartUI for .NET v3.2 with many performance enhancements, especially the one you both mentionned, in less than two months.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 366 views)

User (Old forums)

Odi

Are the timescales still the same for the new version (mid October) and how substantial are the performance improvements you are expecting for adding nodes ?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by smorris (had 521 views)

User (Old forums)

Excellent news! Hopefully this will be considered a bug fix, so that licensed users of 3.x can get this update at no cost.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by bryank (had 477 views)

User (Old forums)

Does this timetable still hold?
    Having a hard time with lagging during add/expand/collapse of the treeview.

/Daniel

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by danielc (had 236 views)

Xceed Support

Hello,

The timetable has been adjusted a bit, but it should be before the end of the month.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 274 views)

User (Old forums)

I’m also finding the tree view control unusable because of speed. Can you confirm that the update will be treated as a bug fix and that no cost will be involved?

The tree view was one of the main reasons I bought the Xceed library abd I’m not happy with the current performance.

bwg

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Brian (had 366 views)

User (Old forums)

Hey

How’s things?

We are now up to license 3.3 (3.2 was meant to have the speed optimisation). This problem still exists as far as I’m concerned. The Xceed grid scrolls jerkily with even only 20 rows and the Treeview just can’t take lots (500+ nodes) using the IDE. Compiled runtime is better, true, but I ported this grid from a VB6 equivalent and the performance is shocking in comparison.

Any speed improvements on the horizon?

cheers,
    James

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by jf01 (had 770 views)

User (Old forums)

The main purpose of the SmartUI for .NET controls is navigation. All the product’s SmartControls are used as shortcuts, window handlers or information providers for your applications. They were not meant to handle a huge volume of information. This is why no SmartControl is data bound. The SmartTreeView control is no exception.

Unfortunately, although the SmartTreeView was conceived as a rich-feature, visually stunning navigation tool, it is easy to forget its limitation and starting imposing more and more stress upon it. We estimate that the maximum number of items the SmartTreeView can efficiently handle is one thousand (1000).

However, in some cases, you may be able to efficiently handle more by dynamically loading the nodes. This FolderExplorer sample demonstrates just that. This sample is installed along Xceed Components in the Xceed Components installation directory, which is normally :

C:\Program Files\Xceed Components\Xceed SmartUI for .NET 3.3\Samples\VS.NET 2003\CSharp\Advanced\FolderExplorer

You will find four versions of this sample : VS2003, VS2005, in both VB.NET and C#.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 7576 views)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.