Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #13693 |

Is it allowed to use the licensed Xceed Grid in an open source project? Probably not because everyone could see the license key, right? Is there a way around?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Kai (had 3723 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

That’s right – you cannot use Xceed Grid for .NET in an Open Source project for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, you cannot grant rights to others that you do not already have. An Open Source project grants many rights to the project’s users that are not provided to you in the Xceed Software License Agreement.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 609 views)

User (Old forums)

Is this just a problem of the license key or are there any further restrictions? Would it be possible to publish it as Open Source if I do not publish my key? So if anyone wants to compile the Open Source files they have to register for a testversion of Xceed grid on your side. Would that be legal?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Kai (had 207 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

It is almost entirely a license agreement restriction issue and less to do with the actual license key itself.

It is possible, but there are several conditions you must meet. Here are some: First, our license agreement does not permit you to create a development tool of any kind. If your project targets developers (quite possible since you are requiring folks to compile your code, and insert license keys into the source code, which implies some programming savvy) then that’s condition number 1. Second, if you publish it as Open Source, you still need to put a valid copyright notice in there, as required by our license agreement. Third, you must make it crystal clear in your own license agreement that the Xceed component included with the Open Source project is itself not Open Source, and is provided under a separate license agreement (Xceed’s) and must be purchased (licensed) by anyone trying to compile your Open Source project. There are other smaller restrictions to be looked at if you meed these ones first.

One way to get around all this is for you to get a custom license agreement from Xceed (in this case a Worldwide OEM license for use in your particular Open Source project). If this option interests you, contact me at (450) 442-2626 ext. 226 to discuss the terms and fees.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 390 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Odi,

thanks a lot for your fast and detailled answer! But I guess it’s not worth the work we would have to do. I just though about publishing my application as open source because there might be some helpful hints for other users trying to create nearly the same application. So they might have a look e.g. how to retrieve the XML Data from the internet side and parse it, how to save the XML files locally etc. So the Grid is just for displaying the information and I guess no one would have a look at the source code just for the grid (that’s not against your grid, I really like it).
    So the easiest way would be to remove the key and publish it, so if someone is interested in the source <b>and</b> would like to do minor modification to get a better understanding, then they would be able to do so. But frankly speaking I even don’t know if anyone ever would like to do so 😐
    So I’ll just strip my procedures out of the project and publish them without the complete program. I guess the custom license agreement is not too cheap 😉 and as I will not earn any buck from the Open Source project…. Anyway thanks a lot for your support!!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Kai (had 4697 views)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.