Home Forums WPF controls Xceed DataGrid for WPF Microsoft’s WPF Datagrid and new controls

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #26239 |

This is very early news, but I assume you expect Xceed WPF Datagrid to be more advanced and full-featured than the Microsoft WPF Datagrid to be released later this year? I don’t think any details are out yet, but it would be helpful to have a comparison when they are.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/02/19/net-3-5-client-product-roadmap.aspx

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by M (had 3611 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Dear TechUser,

“Advanced” and “full-featured” is not typically Microsoft’s objective with their datagrid controls, so don’t be surprised that the Microsoft WPF datagrid has just minimal capabilities. They demonstrated it last week to Xceed and others at Mix ’08. I will update our comparison chart (the one <a href=”http://xceed.com/pages/images/general/wpf-grid-compare.png”>here</a&gt;, but until then, I believe the Microsoft datagrid will basically have none of the features in the table except for:

– True lookless control, 100% stylable
    – Table view
    – In-place editing (not rich)
    – Drag & drop reordering of columns

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 444 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks for the info, that’s very helpful to know. I think the only concern would be that you add whatever useful interfaces MS might have in its upcoming DataGrid that are not yet in Xceed’s. (There might not be any, except perhaps for the IDataErrorInfo support mentioned in a previous thread,
    http://blogs.msdn.com/wpfsdk/archive/2007/10/02/data-validation-in-3-5.aspx
    ) Datagrid is the one control I really demand a lot from–it’s odd that MS put so much work into databases & LINQ, but not into the dataview control which is the workhorse in presenting data.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by M (had 292 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

With Xceed’s free, and well-appreciated DataGrid for WPF, there’s really no pressure on Microsoft to hurry nor to focus on features. Nor any pressure on other vendors to build their own datagrids. I do believe Microsoft may set a new standard for performance, but from what I gather, they are making use of some new .NET 3.5 SP1 virtualization enhancements. We’re also working on perf. now and wil strive to achieve similar results.

IDataErrorInfo support is forthcoming.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 445 views)

User (Old forums)

That makes sense, with the minor caveat that Xceed’s free version does reserve a few key features to the professional version, particularly printing (which is of course entirely reasonable, but still leaves some pressure on Microsoft, which is dealing with expectations from those upgrading from DataGridView and the designers/wizards in Forms). Also given the importance of the datagrid, other vendors may continue to focus on it as a tie-in or gateway to their own component suites, but obviously Xceed is far in the lead.

Thanks, IDataErrorInfo support is good news, and also look forward to the performance enhancements.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by M (had 4637 views)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.