Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms Master/detail grids, collections, and "lazy loading"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #15297 |

I’ve successfully bound a custom collection to a grid, and I can get it to show the collection of child items for each row with the appropriate binding setup.

However, the grid interrogates the child collection of each row (e.g. everything appears as expanded).

Many of the object frameworks now support “lazy loading” and don’t load child data unless it is requested. Loading all the child rows for each object is prohibitively expensive.

Is there some way to just have the grid display the “+” symbol and retrieve the child data only when the user requests it?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by R (had 3031 views)

User (Old forums)

You will need NOT to bind the detail grid, only the master, and subscribe to the CollapsedChanged event on the DetailGridTemplates. Then in the event handler, supply the necessary data to fill the rows of this specific DetailGrid instance.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 266 views)

User (Old forums)

Is there a sample (perhaps included in the package) somewhere that illustrates populating the detail grid on demand like this?

Can you supply a collection (e.g. the child object collection) at the time the child is expanded and still get the benefit of data binding?

Also, one thing that comes into play is whether the master grid will recognized that their are children that it doesn’t know about and display a (+) to allow for expansion. (I’m evaluating 3 different grids at the same time and this is an issue in some of them, I’m not sure how the Xceed grid handles this).

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by R (had 542 views)

User (Old forums)

We do not have a sample demonstrating this.

The detail grid will not benefit from the data binding, since the data is feed manually to the detail grid.

DetailGrid is an all or nothing feature. All rows have it, or none have it. So event if a master row does not have any child rows to display, it will still have the expansion icon, since it still has a detail grid ( though empty) attached to it.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 4008 views)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.