Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms Major help needed with Extensibility sample project (using filter row)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    #17114 |

One of the reasons we purchased the xceed suite was for the .net grid component. The downloaded demo of XceedGridLiveExplorer.exe provides and advertises the use of a filter row in a grid.  This is exactly what we want to do, however, the demo appears to use different code than what the Extensibility sample project provides.  The demo runs fast, is effective, and is exactly what we want to do.  However, it is not a built in feature (somewhat false advertising if you ask me), but I am willing to duplicate the code used in the Extensibilty project to get things to work.  Working with the sample project I have no luck.  The app doesn’t even run, it freezes on load.  It appears to loop endlessly in the cell_ValueChanged procedure. Why is this?  I was able to copy the filterrow classes into the project we are building, and I after I set up all the necessary code to do the filter row, I get the same result, it freezes on load of the grid, stuck in an endless loop.  If I comment out the cell_ValueChanged procedure, the grid loads fine, but the grid runs slow, filter dropdowns take forever to come up, and the filter dropdowns are unpopulated.  I believe the code for the filter row in the cell_ValueChanged procedure is used to populate the filter dropdowns, so what needs to be fixed?  Also, does the grid run so slow when there is a filter row?  Again, I must state the demo of this advertised capability runs perfect.  Huh, wonder what is going on here?  I need detailed info on what I need to do to get this working properly.  Nick

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 6151 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi,

Are you trying to run the C# sample or the VB.NET sample?  Do you have the latest packaged version installed?  Visual Studio 2008 (with the service pack 1) ?

I have the general package installed ( http://xceed.com/Xredirect.aspx?url=http://download4.xceedsoft.com/Packages/3.2.9257.09160/XceedComponents.exe ) and, running Visual Studio 2008 with VS2008 service pack 1,  I am running both the C# and the VB.NET samples and I am not able to detect any difference in response times.  The “Extensibility” samples are just as fast as the Xceed Grid Live Explorer “Extensibility” sub-application. 

Can you give me more details about your settings (language, Visual Studio version, Xceed Grid for .NET version, anything useful)? 

What operations in particular are you trying to perform?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 158 views)

User (Old forums)

I am running Visual Studio 2005 v8.0.50727.762 (SP.050727-7600).  .Net framework v2.0.50727 SP2.  Xceed Grid .Net v3.8.8577.11540.  I am coding in VB.Net.  The Extensibilty sample app is assembly version 3.1.6279.500.  I am running no particular operations, it won’t even load as described above.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 129 views)

User (Old forums)

We are able to reproduce the issue with VS 2005, but not with VS 2008.  We will investigate and try to get a workaround or a fix as soon as possible.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 189 views)

User (Old forums)

I have installed Visual Studio 2005 service pack 1.  When I open a dropdown from the filter row, the VB version is still hanging but the C# version is working.  (Refering to VS 2005, here.)   The problem origin is obviously coming from the VB2005 sample itself.  I have no workaround for the moment, other than using VS 2008 or C# with Visual Studio 2005.  I will try to find the needle in the hay stack tomorrow as to what is causing the “hang” precisely.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 2947 views)

User (Old forums)

We solely use VB.Net in VS 2005.  A fix to sample is a must so we can move forward.  Thanks for the promptness in looking into this.  I will await a solution before moving forward.

Nick

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 282 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Nick,

I was unable to track the origin of the endless loop in the original VB sample, even when comparing with the functional C# code.

After a few tries, I was able to convert the C# code into VB 2005 code using Instant VB…  Still had to fix a couple of bugs that were preventing the sample application from running but I was finally able to make it work after tweaking a couple of lines of code here and there.  This new “edition” of Extensibility in VB 2005 will probably not be released “officially” anytime soon. 

I have not tested every possible actions but the dropdown from the filter row is functional, at least.  It is provided “as is” without any guarantee. 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 228 views)

User (Old forums)

The project in your attachment loads with 102 errors.  Doesn’t appear to be a working sample.  Please provide a working sample.

Can I ask why the filter row is an advertised feature of your grid in your demo app, but it really isn’t and is provided only “as is”, not guaranteed to work?  Seems like false advertisement especially since one determining factor in our purchase was the filter row capability.  With the current price tag of your suite I’d expect the filter row sample to be working perfectly.  Please advise.

Nick

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 160 views)

User (Old forums)

Just downloaded the sample, extracted all files and started the debug in Visual Studio 2005…  I had 3 warnings.  For the rest, it’s actually running fine…  Check your references, perhaps?

All of our samples are provided “As is”.  This means that we don’t normally provide any kind of guarantee that our samples are absolutely error-free and if errors are found in the sample applications, it could take a while before the bugs are removed.  We take for granted that they are error-free until someone report an error and then we fill a bug report and, on the next service release, the bug is usually gone.

For your comment regarding filtering, please refer to thread http://xceed.com/CS/forums/thread/2645.aspx  

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 341 views)

User (Old forums)

yeah, I’ve read that thread before.  The point of thread to me says “If you want filtering capability, don’t buy Xceed”.  Is that the point you were trying to get across with the thread link you provided me?  The last time an Xceed person commented on that thread was 2 years ago.  I’d expect an update by now.  What is the status of that?

Nick

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 102 views)

User (Old forums)

You are correct.  The references are not found.  What are proper steps to resolve this?  What is your setup for your references in your project?  I’ve never run into this issue with Xceed projects before.

Nick

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 187 views)

User (Old forums)

If you have the Extensibility project in Visual Studio 2005, in the Solution explorer, you have a button shows “Show All Files” when hovering over.  Click on it.  “References” will appear below.  Right-click on References, select “Add references”…  Chose the .NET tab for Xceed .NET components (COM tab for the ActiveX components, if any), scroll down…  Xceed components are at the bottom of the list.  Select everything you may need.  Click Ok to accept.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 132 views)

User (Old forums)

Already tried that, and it did not work.  The way I perceived doing it I guess was already the proper way.  What needs to be done then to get it working?  All other sample apps installed with the Xceed suite load without these errors.

Nick

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 554 views)

User (Old forums)

What is (are) the error message(s) that you are (still?) getting? 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 649 views)

User (Old forums)

Numerous vairables all saying they are not a member of ‘Grid’.

Other Warnings:

Warning    2    Namespace or type specified in the Imports ‘Xceed.Grid.Editors’ doesn’t contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn’t use any aliases.    C:\Program Files\Xceed Components\Xceed Grid for .NET 3.8\Samples\Visual Basic .NET\Extensibility 2\Extensibility.vb    25    9    Xceed.Grid.Samples.Extensibility_VS2005

Nick

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 632 views)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.