Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Chart for WinForms Legend with variable length text

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #19129 |

I have a legend that has some items with very long text and some items with very short text. eg the legend items may be:

Symptom1

Symptom2

Symptom3

Symptom4

Symptom5

Symptom6

Symptom7

Symptom8

Average of Symptom1, Symptom2, Symptom3, Symptom4, Symptom5, Symptom6, Symptom7 and Symptom8 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

How can I make the legend work without taking up a huge amount of space? If I leave the text as above, the legend is a huge square that takes most of the chart space. If I break the last legend item up into 8 lines of text using vbnewline, the first 8 legend items also take up 8 lines worth of space even though they only need 1 line worth of space, and the legend is too long to display. If I do the legend as columns instead of rows, it gets even worse.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Pixie (had 2922 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi,

May I suggest you to run Programs -> Xceed Components -> .NET Components -> Windows Forms -> Xceed Chart for .NET 4.2 -> Xceed Chart Explorer for .NET

From there, select Legend -> Position and Style

Once you are there, you can switch to the “C# Code” tab.

Given what you said, I think that doing a 2-row x 5-column legend at the bottom of the chart would be the best option.  Note that for the average label, it is usually considered correct to just label it this way since that, by definition, it represents the mean value of all the listed items.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 1487 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks, but I didn’t make myself quite clear enough – the example I gave is only an example, legend items are completely user defined and can be any combination of long, short and medium length and any number of items. What I would really like to do is be able to adjust the height of individual legend items – either manually or with an autofit option that sets the height of each item to fit the text in it (instead of what it does by default which is make all items high enough to fit the text in the biggest item) . Is there a way to do this?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Pixie (had 1453 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi,

you are right on everything you said.  Unless there is a workaround that I’m unaware of, the problem is that the items in the legend are sharing the same font. 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 3160 views)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.