Home Forums General Installation & other Installing newer versions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    #43366 |

Is it possible to install a new version of Xceed Ultimate Suite AND keeping the old version?
    I tried, but the installer asked me to uninstall the old version.
    If there is any workaround, it would greatly improve testing of newer versions on existing applications.

We also have PC’s with run-time versions of our applications (and xceed).
    What will happen if I install a new developer version of Xceed Ultimate Suite on such a PC?
    Will the existing runtime version still work?

– Or is it necessary to dedicate a PC for testing new versions?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by eborgen (had 10307 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi,

Indeed the installer will ask you to unistall previous versions however, you can simply backup the Xceed.dll files (XceedZip.dll, XceedCry.dll etc) and use Regsvr32 “path of the dll” to register the dll or, Regsvr32 -u “path of the dll”. If you are working with our .Net components then the procedure might be a little more touchy. If this is the case, please send me an email at matt@xceedsoft.com with the detailed product you wish to backup/update. Unfortunately our support is not open until Monday morning.

As for your second question, if you update to a more recent version, it should work right away.

Cheers ! (h)

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Matt (had 757 views)

User (Old forums)

We have been using various Xcced components, mainly Grid control for last one year. First time we installed and referred installed version in VS.NET and worked fine in design time as well as run time.

Two months back we decided to move to new verion of Grid control, and copied into directory instead of uninstalling and installing. When we try to reference this new version of grid control in VS.NET during design time, we got licensing error…

What is the best way to refer new version of Xceed and work in design time.

Appreciate your help in this issue…

Vishnu

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by vishnu (had 709 views)

Xceed Support

Hi,

the installer is in charge of configuring all the registry entries you need to work with our product. The issue you are describing is the result of not using the installer to work with our product. With this scenario, you will have to set the license key in your code (as described in the documentation) and browse to add the reference manually.

What you can do to avoid any troubles with the installation is to install the patch for the Grid. (http://www.xceedsoft.com/redirect/updates) This way, you wont have to uninstall and reinstall the product (it’s all part of the patching mechanism) and you will be able to work with the grid without issues.

Have a nice day!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jacques [Xceed] (had 653 views)

User (Old forums)

This is a bit of an older post so I thought I might ask if the advice given here is still accurate. We have the .NET grid control version 1.1 in our current product, and wanted to update to 2.5 for the next version of our product. The problem is that we need both versions installed on our developer machines in order for them to bug fix the old version while coding with the new version.

The main problem is that “Xceed UI” has now become a required reference in v2.5 whereas it was not in v1.1. The other issue is that we need to keep our machines using the same version as we have installed at our customer sites when we are running 4.1. All of this points to a need to have both versions installed at once.

Let me know if there is some simple way of doing this. Thanks!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by dernhelm (had 707 views)

Xceed Support

Hi dernhelm,

the installer is still updating all controls on the system with the latest version available. We are getting requests to be able to have multiple version of the package installed at the same time but we still have issues to fix before we can allow it.

For our .NET components, you can simply backup the assemblies to an alternate directory (or request them back from technical support) and update your project to reference those DLLs instead. You can then install the latest package on your system which will allow you to test and work with the latest version. Note that the documentation will not work with the previous version.

As for the ActiveX components, you cannot have 2 versions registered at the same time. Since all version of a product shares the same CLSID and registering a version will replace the registration of the older version (or vice versa), you cannot have both version working at the same time.

Have a nice day!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jacques [Xceed] (had 6287 views)

User (Old forums)

Did you solve this issue with the latest version. We need to have Xceed 2007 and Xceed 2010 on the same machine.

Thanks

Armando 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Armando (had 299 views)

Xceed Support

Hi Armando,

if you are referring to the XceedComponents.exe packages,  you won’t be able to install multiple version side by side. If you are referring to the Xceed_Ultimate_Suite_vX.Y.exe package, you will be able to install multiple version at the same time.

Please note that the ActiveX components, either installed by the XceedComponents.exe or by the Xceed_Ultimate_Suite_vX.Y.exe, won’t install side by side. As explain before, unless making a completely new component, the way ActiveX are registered do not allow multiple instances to be registered at the same time.

Hope this help! 

Jacques. 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jacques [Xceed] (had 523 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks Jacques you solved my problem.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Armando (had 370 views)

Xceed Support

You’re welcome! 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jacques [Xceed] (had 942 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Jacques,

we have bought XceedComponents update before your explanations about the differences between XceedComponents and Xceed Ultimate Suite 2010.

So now we have a huge problem because we can’t manage, at same time on the same machine, old projects that use Xceed 2007 and the new one based on the Xceed 2010 version.

I would to ask you if we can return the XceedComponents 2010 Upgrade and buy the Xceed Ultimate Suite 2010 paying the difference between the two versions.

Let me know if it is possibile or your best solution to solve our problem.

Bye

Armando

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Armando (had 355 views)

Xceed Support

Hi Armando,

you should contact our sales department regarding your issue at sales@xceed.com or 1-800-865-2626.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jacques [Xceed] (had 3562 views)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.