Home Forums WPF controls Xceed DataGrid for WPF Installing Datagrid for WPF – installed EVERYTHING

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #25810 |

I have a previous license to the entire component suite and have not updated that suite in a while. The last time I installed, I didn’t even have VS2008 on the box, just VS2005.

I clicked on the link to download the WPF Datagrid last night. I even had to create a new login/password to do so. My email was not in the database when I requested my p/w to be emailed.

I ended up getting a large download and then the installation took a quite a while. I could see it was installing EVERY component, not just the WPF datagrid. There was never any indication that this would happen and I definitely wasn’t asked if I wanted to install everything.

I did get a message about “you have 1.1 components. If you require compatability with 1.1, don’t proceed”.

Now I open up VS2008 and see all of the components there.

So, what happened?

I’m not complaining that I have all of the components available.

But I really was just hoping for a quick look at the datagrid and ended up having to walk away from the installation because it was taking such a long time and just gave up and went to bed. That was frustrating. I felt like I had been hijaaked.

Thanks

Julie Lerman

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Julia (had 3365 views)

User (Old forums)

p.s. and after all that, the WPF DataGrid is not even available.Not in the toolbox with all of the others and not an optoin in ChooseToolbox Items. I clicked the download link on the product page for the XCeed DataGrid for WPF.

So I went back to do it again. Click the download button, sign in and I can see it is again downloading “xceedcomponents.exe” 80MB. This is what I already downloaded.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Julie

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Julia (had 232 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Hi Julie,

I’ll ask the team to take a look at the issue you just brought up (the WPF DataGrid not showing up in the toolbox), and also about some of the other points.

I’d like to also mention that as of the next update (v2.0 of the DataGrid), which is scheduled for release in the coming weeks, the Xceed Datagrid for WPF will have its own installation package so this won’t happen again. We’ve been working on that for a while, it will be a much smaller download, quicker install, and a beautiful WPF experience right from the get-go, since the Quick Start is a WPF application focusing on the datagrid, and not an HTML document with all Xceed products showcased.

Thanks for posting about your experience.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 554 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

Hi again Julie,

I went through the current download experience but I didn’t get the same results as you. I’ll answer some of your points in-line.

>>I have a previous license to the entire component suite and have not updated that suite in a while. The last time I installed, I didn’t even have VS2008 on the box, just VS2005. I clicked on the link to download the WPF Datagrid last night. I even had to create a new login/password to do so. My email was not in the database when I requested my p/w to be emailed.

Thanks for bringing this up. It happened because you never had an Xceed web site account to begin with. You may have purchased your Xceed product without going through the web site, or have purchased before the new web site (with logins) was put online. Right now, in order to purchase something on the web site, you have to create a new account and that will be remembered. One improvement we can make is to retroactively create web site accounts for everybody that is registered, it is something to consider.

>>I ended up getting a large download and then the installation took a quite a while. I could see it was installing EVERY component, not just the WPF datagrid.

Agreed, this is not the ideal experience — and this will change in a matter of weeks. We have been doing this for 5 to 10 years, and (see my response to your next points) while you can easily bypass the installation part, the 80-meg download part can be fixed. For a while last year, the default installer would “download on demand” the actual components you wanted to install, but this proved to be troublesome for certain customers so now that’s only available in the update center (Downloads -> Update Center from the master Xceed menu).

>>There was never any indication that this would happen and I definitely wasn’t asked if I wanted to install everything.

Before download, we used to have an intermediate page which would clearly describe what you would receive when you download any Xceed component. This page is missing from this new version of our web site and it is going to reappear soon. That would have avoided any surprise before download. After download, during installation, however, I’m not sure it is that unclear, though I’m not here to argue with you, rather, I will see how it can be further improved.

The installer name it displays is “Installer for Xceed Components” and one of the installation steps is called “Setup type” which gives you two choices:

“(X) Complete. This installs all Xceed components”
    “( ) Custom.”

Now, I don’t know why you definitely weren’t asked this, it might be an issue we need to resolve — are you sure this step was not offered to you?

>>I did get a message about “you have 1.1 components. If you require compatability with 1.1, don’t proceed”.

>>Now I open up VS2008 and see all of the components there. So, what happened?

I’m not sure which previous package you had, but when I tried it just now, the installer poped up a message box saying “A previous version of Xceed Components was detected on your system. Proceeding with this installation will upgrade the previous version. Do you want to contonue?”. …I have a feeling that you may have had a package that was before we switched installer systems a couple of years ago, and we weren’t able to detect those. This should no longer happen moving forward, as we’re keeping the same installer system and moving to a new one only for Xceed Datagrid for WPF and new components moving forward.

>>But I really was just hoping for a quick look at the datagrid and ended up having to walk away from the installation because it was taking such a long time and just gave up and went to bed. That was frustrating. I felt like I had been hijaaked.

We hear you… I think that we have already solved some of these issues (moving forward) and are about to make taking a quick look at the datagrid a whole lot more pleasant.

Let me know if you or anyone else has anything else to add, there is active work on the installer and web site download experiences going on right now, so now is a great time to do so.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 307 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks very much for the reply. It’s great to know that it’s just temporary. Also, I may have been quick on the trigger not seeing the option to install one thing or everything. I don’t remember seeing it, though it was very clearly there when I chose “modify installation” after setup to see if the WPF DataGrid had been checked or not (it had).

I wasn’t worried about not having the existing account. Just thought it might be a useful clue as to why I got the whole kit n’ kaboodle.

So if I was just being impatient (which is normal), maybe that’s part of it. But I have a suspipcion you will run into a few other impatient programmers, too! 🙂

Just as an FYI – I DO have the WPF datagrid in my toolbox.

I didn’t see it because I was being SUPER DUMB (I’m too embarrassed to explain) Grin

Thanks again Odi.

Julie

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Julia (had 4572 views)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.