Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed Zip & Real-Time Zip for .NET How to copy to/from an array of bytes or MemoryStream ??

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    #19679 |

Hi,

I am trying to unzip a GZip’ed file I have in memory. I can sucessfully unzip the file that is saved to disk, back to disk… but how can I do this all in memory?

Basically my question is, where is the ToArrray() or GetStream() function on the MemoryFile class? How can I copy an array of bytes or MemoryStream to/from this MemoryFile object?

Thanks for any help

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by dmf (had 2725 views)

User (Old forums)

Ok, I believe I have found my answer, however I am still having problems.

Apparently there is a FileStream class that we can integrate with IOStreams to accomplish my goal. However it is not working…

I have a single text file that is in a GZip archive. I want to write a function which takes this .gz file as an IO.MemoryStream, and then returns the contents of the text file contained in the zip via a String. The code looks like this:

Public Shared Function ExtractFileFromZip(ByVal inputStream As IO.MemoryStream) As String
    Dim streamFile As New Xceed.FileSystem.StreamFile(inputStream)
    Dim gzipFile As New Xceed.GZip.GZipArchive(streamFile)
    Dim unzippedFile As Xceed.GZip.GZippedFile = CType(gzipFile.GetFiles(True)(0), Xceed.GZip.GZippedFile)
    Dim ms As New IO.MemoryStream
    Dim unzippedStream As New Xceed.FileSystem.StreamFile(ms)
    unzippedFile.CopyTo(unzippedStream, True)
    Return Text.Encoding.Unicode.GetString(ms.ToArray())
    End Sub

See what I’m trying to do? I think I am very close, as the memory stream ‘ms’ DOES contain a valid AMOUNT of data. The problem is, this function is returning junk characters; garbage… Am I doing some encoding wrong or something?

BTW, I can unzip this file perfectly fine to disk. That code looks like this:
    Dim gzipArchive As New Xceed.GZip.GZipArchive(New Xceed.FileSystem.DiskFile(“bulk.clear.gz”))
    Dim gzipFile As Xceed.GZip.GZippedFile = CType(gzipArchive.GetFile(“equity_euro.px”), Xceed.GZip.GZippedFile)
    Dim dest As New Xceed.FileSystem.DiskFile(“C:\TEMP.px”)
    gzipFile.CopyTo(dest, True)

Any clue what could be the problem? How can I do this all in memory? I know I am close!!!

Thanks for any help.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by dmf (had 322 views)

User (Old forums)

note, this code DOES work… for some reason, with a very large file, Visual Studio craps out and shows me garbage as the contents… but with a small file, it works great… me thinks this is an issue with Visual Studio itself..

Thanks again!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by dmf (had 3513 views)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.