Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms Grid performance in VS2005?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    #14643 |

Hi,

we’ve been using the grid component in VS2003 and we’ve been very pleased with the performance of the control.

A few days ago we switched to VS2005 – now the performance when interacting (scrolling,…) with the grid is inacceptable. Our grids are unbound and contain about 100-200 records (nothing special here – some of them are even readonly) and they scroll very slow (about a page per second).

Even in the provided samples (I tried the FilterAndSearch sample) is a significant performance degradation between VS2003 (fluid and fast) and VS2005 (VERY slow).

Am I doing something wrong? We got a 2.5 license but we are using the latest dlls.

Sincerely
    Michael

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by mike_t (had 5882 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

We are taking a look at this immediately.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 271 views)

Xceed Support

Hi Mike,

Visual Studio 2005 in Debug mode is much slower than vs 2003.
    Try running in release mode (CRTL+F5) for evaluating performance.

Debugging VS 2005 (F5) eats up ressources: time is spent checking assertions, types, exceptions, call stacks threads monitoring, managed and unmanaged calls, memory assertions, attaching to debugged process, and more.

If you want performance, try CRTL+F5 (release) and let us know if you get better results.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Vince [Xceed] (had 388 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi,

I did the tests in Release mode, but there was no significant change in performance – the 2005 version was still very slow.

I think it got something to do with the redraw of the control.

Thanks,
    Mike

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by mike_t (had 450 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi,

I found out something new: the performance degradation only occurs when the project is started in VS2005 (release mode!).

Starting the compiled project on its own results in a nice fast grid.

Thanks,
    Mike

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by mike_t (had 373 views)

Xceed Support

We ran in release mode and everything runs smoothly.

Also as you mentioned, if the executable is running fine outside VS2005 then visual studio is clearly causing the problem.

I would verify what is affecting performance. Could be many things with your VS2005 settings. I would check also available cpu or memory resources.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Vince [Xceed] (had 389 views)

User (Old forums)

I have confirmed the performance degradation in 2005. Running an executable outside the IDE is much faster. I think the Xceed product is very good and I suggest Xceed try to track this problem down, as it will impact the perception many potential users will have of the product. Further, some “real time” testing/development in the 2005 IDE could be negatively impacted. Thanks.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by akp (had 421 views)

User (Old forums)

If the performance problem only appears when the project is run from Visual Studio, try turning off the Visual Studio hosting process. This option is at the bottom of the Debug page of the project properties.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Richard (had 753 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks for the suggestion. This is much appreciated.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 6468 views)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.