Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms Get pending value of cell during validation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    #16744 |

How do I get the value of a cell during the validation process?  I’m using a custom criterion object that needs to see what the user entered in a different cell than the criterion is tied to to see how this criterion should validate. 

To elaborate: Within a specific row Cell A was changed by the user.  Then the user changes Cell B.  The criterion for Cell B needs to get the new value entered into Cell A.  When calling CurrentRow.Cells(“Column A”) I get the old value that was in cell A, not the new value, presumably because the new value has not been committed to the row since validation is not done.  How do I get the new/pending value of Cell A before validation is complete??

Thanks in advance.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 595 views)

User (Old forums)

Ok the problem is the user needs to either click out of the cell or hit enter for the new value to take.  Odd that calling Validate on the provider would not take care of this.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Nick (had 252 views)

User (Old forums)

I have to agree with you, I have also found this to be a point of contention since the user will at times edit a cell, and then with the mouse try to click the save button which for our application is not supposed to be enabled unless there are changes to be saved.  Well, since they did not hit enter or even if the click on another cell in the same row the changed even does not fire. and thus does not inform the control to enable itself.

I have also found that if the user clicks on a cell but does not cheang the value it still marks the row as changed in the dataset.  This was another behavior that I did not expect or like.  If the user does not change the value then it should remain unchanged in the bound dataset.  This caused several calls durring testing wher they complained that they were being prompted to save chages even though they only clicked on a cell. 

What will really bring this to light is if you use a combobox to edit the cell, just putting the cell into edit mode will cause the dataset status for that row to be set to changed.

We Ended up handling Both the EnteringEdit and LeavingEdit to flag non data changing actions and cancelling the edit thus preserving the dataset status.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Brian (had 898 views)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.