Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed Zip & Real-Time Zip for .NET Exceptions get thrown when extracting files larger that 4GB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    #19719 |

I am having problems extracting files that are larger than 4GB from a zip file. I am currently using the latest version of Xceed Zip for .NET (version 3.2). I have no problems zipping the file with Xceed objects. I do have a problem extracting any file that exceeds that 4GB limit. I don’t think the problem with the zip file itself because I am able to extract other files and I can also extract the files successfully using WinZip 10. I cannot extract the 4GB files using either the QuickZip.Unzip function or the ZipArchive object. I get the following exceptions when using the QuickZip.Unzip function:

Xceed.FileSystem.QuickZipException

An error occurred while extracting files from the zip file.

And, the inner exception to that exception is as follows:

Xceed.Compression.CompressionException

An I/O exception occurred while copying the data from the item to its destination.

Type: Xceed.Zip.ZippedFile

FullName: \Data\DATA\Fake\bigfile1.dat

The file that is the problem, bigfile1.dat, is about 5GB and it’s basically a dummy file I created with random values in each byte so it doesn’t compress very well. Is this problem with the 4GB file extraction a known issue? Is there a work around?

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by rahsas (had 5301 views)

User (Old forums)

Also, might I add, the ZipManager sample application (included in the Xceed 3.2 Visual Studio 2003 code samples) also fails to unzip the bigfile1.dat (~5GB) file. It puts the following message in the Status Bar window “An I/O exception occurred while copying the data from the item to its destination. Type Xceed.Zip.ZippedFile FullName: \Data”. The rest of the error message seems to be truncated. I think there is a bug in the Xceed Zip library’s code when dealing with extracting these large files.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by rahsas (had 744 views)

User (Old forums)

Can you confirm that your License Key is version 2.3+ ? Version 1.x did not support the Zip64 feature required to do this. Simply check the first to numbers to determine the version. For example : ZIN20, is for Xceed Zip for .NET 2.0. If you still have an issue with this, can you send me the code you use matt@xceedsoft.com. This will open a ticket number so that we can investigate further.

Xceed Zip for .NET currently has no open issues related to Zip64.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Matt (had 219 views)

User (Old forums)

Yes, I am definitely using Xceed Zip for .NET 3.2. I think this problem that I’m seeing is caused because of the encryption method I am using to encrypt the zip file with a password. I am using the default encryption method ‘Compatible’. When extracting a large 4GB+ file from a zipped archive that is encrypted in ‘Compatible’ method, it seems to throw the exceptions. I created a zipped archive with a large 4GB+ file that was encrypted with the ‘WinZipAes’ method and 256-bit encryption strength. When extracting a large 4GB+ file from this zipped archive I received no exceptions and the file extracted correctly. So I think there is some bug in decrypting a large 4GB+ zipped file encrypted with the ‘Compatible’ method.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by rahsas (had 645 views)

User (Old forums)

We have reproduced the issue, and this is in fact a bug. We are working on it presently.

We will try to fix it as soon as possible, but we can’t give a time frame at this point, since the cause of the problem as not been yet identified.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 5024 views)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.