Home Forums ActiveX components Xceed Encryption for ActiveX Encryption Strength for RSA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    #42894 |

I read that Xceed Encryption Library sets the “e” value for RSA is 18 and cannot be changed.

I was told that e value must be 80 or higher by some crypto experts to ensure it cannot be cracked.

Why is your e value set so low? I presume its for performance, but how should application developers work around this problem to ensure the encrypted content does not get cracked? I heard there are “padding” techniques.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

– Xmaslatte

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by xmaslatte (had 3974 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi,

The RSA key component “e” is also known as the public exponent. It is not one of the two huge prime numbers that make up an RSA key. These are called “p” and “q”. The “e” component has to be a prime number smaller than the product of “p” and “q”. The greater is “e”, the longer it will take to encrypt data. Using 17 is a good compromise between speed and security. However, even 3 is secure as long as you do not send the same data over and over again.

I believe you got the public exponent “e” and the private exponent “d” confused. All you said is valid and relevant for the “d” exponent. In Xceed Encryption Library, “d” is not fixed. Its value is calculated when the KeyPair is created and complies with the various RSA recommendations and standards.

As for the padding technique, we are already using one. It is called OAEP (Optimal Asymmetric Encryption Padding) and is described in the RSA PKCS#1 v2.0 document.

I hope that answers your questions.

Thank you for your interest in Xceed Encryption Library!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Michel (had 3849 views)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.