Home Forums WPF controls Xceed DataGrid for WPF Documentation FeedBack Requested

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    #21846 |

I will start by introducing myself: my name is Jenny and I am one of the technical writers at Xceed. I created the documentation for Xceed DataGrid for WPF when I came back from my second maternity leave so I was both new to the product as well as WPF. This was an unusual circumstance since the technical writers at Xceed are usually involved from the beginning with a project. Let’s just say that it was a hell of a learning curve!

As many of you may have noticed, the first version of the documentation deals mostly with basic usability concepts. What I would like to know is what you would like to see in the documentation and where do you find that the documentation is lacking (you can also state what you like!). Currently, the next topics I had on my list were to provide a migration table from the WinForms Xceed Grid for .NET to Xceed DataGrid for WPF and “overview” topics of the major classes, but priorities can change if specific topics/subjects are requested.

Another thing I would like your opinions on is the new appearance and layout. Do you like that the examples are all located at the bottom of a page in collapsed sections (before anyone asks, the second version of the documentation will have “Copy Code” buttons for all examples)? Do you like the general layout? Are the “Prerequisite Knowledge” boxes useful? Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Comments can either be posted in this thread, or e-mailed to <a href=”mailto:doccomments@xceedsoft.com?subject=Forums Documentation FeedBack”>doccomments@xceedsoft.com</a>.

Thank you!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 7487 views)

User (Old forums)

One thing I can think – it would be useful to know what the default values are for all the dependency properties, I couldn’t find them in the docs.

Cheers

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by nmosafi (had 697 views)

Xceed Support

The default values have been added and will appear in the next release. 🙂

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 291 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Jenny,
    on the whole, there is a lot of stuff in the example apps but as they are full examples, they are very complicated (and just a little daunting) so more of the simple “how tos” would be great!

Cheers,
    Lucas.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Lucas (had 530 views)

Xceed Support

Hi Lucas,

Are you referring to the sample applications included with the product or are you referring to the example code in the documentation?

If you are referring to the examples in the documentation, I went with the notion that clients would prefer to have a complete example rather than a short, non-compilable snippet. How would you like to see the examples? Could you provide me with an example that you found daunting and how you would have liked to see it presented? (I think I have used my quota of the word “example”!)

Thank you for your feedback!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 374 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi Jenny,
    sorry i am referring to the documentation. One simple example that I found a challenge included specifying the design of a card in xaml

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Lucas (had 665 views)

User (Old forums)

Jenny,

Sometimes it’s very useful to see sample snippets while you’re reading up on a particular topic. As mentioned before, the full examples can be very hard to tackle while snippets might give you an idea of where to start (when you’re trying to implement a specific feature).

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Emmanuel (had 466 views)

Xceed Support

Thank you for your feedback. I will keep your suggestion in mind!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 359 views)

User (Old forums)

You welcome Jenny, thank you for your hard work.

Here’s another suggestion: have a searchable online “knowledge base” with examples. Allow developers to browse or search for examples based on the functionality they need.

You could start creating this knowledge base of code samples by looking at the questions being answered in this forum and filtering for the good ones.

Here are some questions I’ve asked:

– How do I change the style of a datarow in the datagridcontrol?
    – How do I make a bound field from a dataview “linkable”?
    etc…

Even though Marcus and others are doing a great job answering such questions, it would have been great if I had a specific place to look for such examples.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Emmanuel (had 458 views)

Xceed Support

Hi ehuna,

One of the things on my TODO list is to go through the forums and extract the questions clients have asked and add those questions—with their answers—to the documentation.

I think it is a good idea to add those to the Knowledge Base as well; however, I prefer to wait until the new version is online.

The new version of the documentation has a more organized “How-to” section which should help you out when you are looking for examples. I have added some more, although not all that I would have liked due to a lack of time 🙁

Version 1.2 of the documentation should contain much more examples as well as a tutorial on how to create custom themes.

Thanks again!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Jenny [Xceed] (had 244 views)

User (Old forums)

Yes code snippets are extremely useful. My vote is for more code snippets in documentation.

Unless it is a snippet like some on MSDN that are 20 – 50 lines of code showing you how to print the words “You pressed one” to the console. While the object in question was used once in an obvious way.

Or snippets that have 5 variables that you have no idea where they came from or what they are and all you do is set properties on the object in question from those variables.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by MiddleTommy (had 442 views)

User (Old forums)

Also better descriptions that ones like this

Column:
    Represents a column in a grid.

That was obvious. But so is column. Unless you dont know what a column is?

OR

CardView:
    Represents a card-view layout

Why not say:
    Represents a layout of the data (normally found in rows and columns) as if they were on an index card. One card for each row.

Useful code snippets and their explanation could makeup for bad generic descriptions.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by MiddleTommy (had 9117 views)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.