Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed Zip & Real-Time Zip for .NET Data descriptor record and the "3rd bit" of the general purpose bit flag

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    #20087 |

It appears that Real-time Zip, when creating a new zip archive, is writing a value of 0x0008 to the general purpose bit flag of the local file header to indicate the use of data descriptor records.  The zip specification states that bit 3 should be set to indicate this.  Another tool I’ve used to parse existing zip files looks for a value of 0x0004 in that field.

My question is, who is right?  I can see if you are counting bits using 0-based counting, then bit 3 turned “on” would be 0x0008.  But if you assume 1-based counting then bit 3 turned “on” would be 0x0004.

My initial thought is that Real-time Zip is in error and is actually flipping bit 4 by writing the value 0x0008.

-Steve 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Steve (had 3179 views)

User (Old forums)

We indeed use zero-based counting. So to set bit 3 is to use the value 0x8, which, in binary will be 1000.

If you look at the Zip specification, it also uses zero-based counting when talking about bitfields.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 396 views)

User (Old forums)

Great, thanks for the clarification!

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Steve (had 3040 views)

User (Old forums)

What are the extra bit occurs when 3rd bit is not set .

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Kanishk 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Kanishk (had 958 views)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.