Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms Column and Row limitations?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    #17199 |

Do limitations exist with Xceed’s GridControl in the aspect of how much data can be loaded etc? I know Microsoft’s Excel has limitations. The reason I am asking is I am working with very large files in Columns and in Rows.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by WhiteZombie (had 1156 views)

User (Old forums)

Hi,

even with virtualization, each row takes a few bytes of memory.  I was able to create a 10,000-column x 10,000-row grid but I pratically ran out of memory (physical + virtual), but I had a lot of VS2008 running at the same time (10 or 11), which doesn’t help.  And I also only had 2 GB of RAM at the time I was writing this. 

In pure theory, the maximum number of columns in a grid is MAXINT.  (2^31-1 = 2147483647)  One of the Grid lead developers just told me that as long as your have enough memory, you can easily have 1000 columns and possibly event 10000.

Ultimately, the largest possible Grid for .NET you can handle is only limited by your physical RAM.  

If you have that many columns, you probably want to consider breaking the table up into two or more smaller tables. Chances are there’s a fairly simple pattern to these columns where you can create a one-to-many relationship and reduce your schema to a manageable number of columns.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Ghislain (had 441 views)

User (Old forums)

Ghislain,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. What would you recommend I do for splitting up large files using Xceed’s Grid? Also, is there any way I can connect Xceed’s Grid control and Xceed’s Graph control, easily. If there is no easy method, do you guys have some example of someone using these two pieces together?

Thanks in advance

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by WhiteZombie (had 836 views)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.