Home Forums WPF controls Xceed DataGrid for WPF Cannot resolve dependency to assembly…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    #25220 |

Hello,

I am trying to build a control gallery with the Xceed WPF DataGridControl as one of the common controls available.

I have the Xceed.Wpf.Controls and the Xceed.Wpf.DataGrid libraries referenced in this control gallery project.

However, when the user references to the control gallery project in another project, the following build error occurs:
    ‘Cannot resove dependency to assembly ‘Xceed.Wpf.DataGrid’… because if has not been preloaded. When using the ReflectionOnly APIs, dependent assemblies must be pre-loaded or loaded on demand through the ReflectionOnlyAssemblyResolve event..’

This error will be resolved if i include the Xceed.Wpf.DataGrid assembly in the project references as well. But my question is… is there a way that I can skip this and only include the control gallery library?

Thanks..

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Serene (had 2383 views)

Odi [Xceed]
    Spectator

I’ll leave the technical answer to others, but there’s a legal one that may need to be addressed. Is the control gallery you are building going to be used solely by other developers in your own company, or are you planning to offer your control gallery to other developers externally?

The former is (making a control gallery for internal company use in order to build your company’s own software for end users) is fine, as long as the people in your company who use your control gallery that wraps Xceed DataGrid for WPF are all registered users of Xceed DataGrid for WPF. The latter, building a control gallery (which is considered by the Xceed License Agreement as a “software development product or toolkit”) for use by developers at large, is not permitted. The specific two portions of the Xceed Software License Agreement that do not grant the rights to do this are:

In Section 2, this portion of text: “The license rights granted under this Agreement do not apply to development or distribution of: (1) software development products or toolkits of any kind, including but not limited to any class libraries, components, controls, XML web services, beans, compilers, plug-ins, adapters, DLLs, APIs or SDKs destined to be used by software developers other than licensees that are Authorized”. …And “Authorized” means that the developer has legitimately obtained a registered license for Xceed DataGrid for WPF from Xceed or an authorized reseller. Currently Xceed DataGrid for WPF is free, so new users can go and register without paying, but this may change without notice, in which case any <b>new</b> users that aren’t already registered will have to pay for the product at whatever price it is in order to use your own control gallery which wraps Xceed DataGrid for WPF.

And then there’s Section 3 of the agreement which has this portion of text: “(3) If Licensee distributes the Redistributable Files, Licensee agrees to (i) not supply any means by which end users could incorporate the Software or portions thereof into their own products;”. This means that you can’t distribute your control gallery on its own because then end-users (other developers) would be able to incorporate it into their own software. If your company is using the control gallery which wraps Xceed DataGrid for WPF in your own software, but your software is not a development tool, then everything’s fine.

Which situation do you fit into? (the former, or the latter?)

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 3622 views)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.