Home Forums .NET libraries Xceed Zip & Real-Time Zip for .NET Appending To A File Inside Zip Archive

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    #20001 |

I’m currently evaluating the Xceed Zip components to optimize an export process in an application.

We have a process that writes data to a disk file (using a StreamWriter), closes the file and then comes back later to write more data to the same file. This will happen a number of times and when the export is complete the finished file is compressed sent to the customer. The files can be in the region of 1 to 10Gb (uncompressed) and must be compressed in either a GZip of Zip format. Each Zip archive will only contain 1 file.

Is is possible using the Xceed Zip components, to write this data out compressed so that I can remove the compression step at the end of my process? From the examples I am not sure how I could append to a file already in a ZIP archive.

Thanks in advance,

Shane. 

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Shane (had 1034 views)

User (Old forums)

Adding compressed data to an already compressed file so that the file can be decompressed all at once as if it was compressed all at once is not possible in and of itself

One workaround would be to use our Real-Time Zip component, and zip the data into a zip file as it arrives to the stream.  However, you would need to keep the stream open until all the data has been received, because the component closes the zip file within the archive if you close the stream.

The other possibility would be to split all you data into individual files that you zip as they are created, and send the resulting archive at the end, which would then be made of many files.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by André (had 237 views)

User (Old forums)

Thanks for the response André.

I’ll take a look into your alternative options.

Shane.

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Shane (had 1419 views)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.