Home Forums WinForms controls Xceed Grid for WinForms Version 2.0 Reply To: Version 2.0

Odi [Xceed]
Spectator

This is the ability to display a “sub grid” (a detail grid) for items (rows) listed in the grid. By example, suppose your rows represent university students (name, dates, etc.) and you want to allow your grid’s user to be able to view which classes they are enrolled in. You could always make it so that by double-clicking on the row you open up another window with another grid containing the list of classes for the student. With a grid that supports Master/Detail, you could easily make it so that (just like a treeview) the user clicks on a [+] icon to the left of the row and then display the list of the studen’ts classes right underneath the student’s data row right in the same grid.

With Xceed Grid for .NET, the detail grid that appears when you expand the data row, unlike other grids, does not introduce new scroll bars so you don’t end up having a scrolling window within a scrolling window, which is confusing. We developed it so that the main scrollbars of your “master” (parent) grid are still the only ones needed to view all the data.

Also, a big plus with Xceed Grid for .NET is that you can have 2 or more detail grids for each data row – so that when the user clicks the [+] symbol you can not only show a subgrid containing the student’s classes, but also a second subgrid (on the same level!) listing the student’s classmates for example.

Detail grids can also have their own details, making for multiple *levels* of details, but we don’t think allowing too many levels of information is a “good thing” because the grid begins to get quite crowded – but you can do it if the circumstances call for it.

Another thing Xceed Grid for .NET’s Master/Detail supports is that the detail grids can display bound data or unbound data or both. When I say unbound I mean to display data that is not necessarily in some kind of collection at all. To put things even more into perspective, keep in mind that the “master grid” (the parent grid) can also be filled from either bound or unbound data.

Xceed’s implementation of this hierarchical display format displays tree lines that look exactly like a treeview so that end-users intuitively know how to use it and can quickly visualize and understand the relationships between the detail grid and the master (parent) grid. Of course, if the user also starts to “group” rows together in a grid using master/detail views, this means there are two hierarchies to display at the same time and things start to be a tad more confusing but still decypherable.

Keep in mind this is a powerful tool but you have to be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot allowing too many end-user options. We have made every attempt to keep things as uncluttered as possible in the event that you have like 3 levels of detail grids and are grouping data together with groups… Personally if I was offering my end-users a user interface with a grid offering multiple levels of detail grids they can open, I would make the group margin object invisible (that’s the grid element that makes groups look exactly like those in MS Outlook) keeping only the group header.

Detail grids can be synchronized (columns, column order, grouping, sorting) so that when one is changed, they all change, or can be independent. Just set a property.

I hope this gives you a clear picture of this new capability.

Odi

Imported from legacy forums. Posted by Odi [Xceed] (had 776 views)